Nutritional lipid liver disease of grass carpCtenopharyngodon idullus (C. et V.)
The inadequate nutrient content of pellet feeds widely used in recent years in China for grass carp farming led to lipid liver degeneration in the fish. The present studies show that the pathological features of lipid liver disease are anaemia and hepatic ceroidosis. Other clinical features are; the ratio of liver to body weight exceeds 3% and lipid content exceeds 5%. Extreme infiltration of hepaiocytes by lipid results in the following deteriorative effects: swelling of the liver cells, increase of lipid droplets in the cytoplasm and dislocation of the nucleus, loss of cytoplasm staining affinity, and increased activities of GOT and GPT in serum. Lipid liver degeneration of grass carp can be divided into three stages: 1) deposition of liver lipid; 2) lipid infiltration of hepatic parenchyma; 3) atrophy of liver nucleus. The causes of lipid liver degeneration are complicated, but the main cause is assumed to be an imbalance of nutrients in daily feed and the lock of some lipotropic substances.
KeywordsLipid Droplet Grass Carp Liver Lipid Body Lipid Dietary Protein Level
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ashley, L.M. 1972. Nutritional Pathology.In: “Fish Nutrition” (J.E. Halver, ed.) Academic Press, New York, pp. 459–494.Google Scholar
- Cowey, C.B. 1978. Nutritional Pathology of Teleosts.In: “Fish Pathology” (R.J. Roberts, ed.) Bailliere Tindall, London. pp. 216–226.Google Scholar
- Group of statistics, Institute of Mathematics, Academia Sinica, Beijing, 1973. The methods of general mathematical statistics. Science Press, Beijing, pp. 34–55; 225–226. (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Liao Xianghua, Lin Ding and Mao Yougqing, 1980. On the nutrition of grass carpctenopharyngodon idellus (C. et V.). Chinese Science and Technology Publication (Ser. 181): 1–40. (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Lin Ding., Mao Yongqing and Liao Xianghua, 1989. Improvement of meat quality of grass carp,Ctenopharyngodon idellus (C. et V.), In “Fish Nutrition Research in Asia. Proceedings of the Third Asian Fish Nutrition Network Meeting. Asian Fish. Soc, Spec. Publ. pp. 148–152.Google Scholar
- Snieszko, S. F. 1972. Nutritional Fish Diseases.In: “Fish Nutrition” (J.E. Halver, ed.) Academic Press, New York, pp. 422–427.Google Scholar
- Xu Hao and Ma Shuyi, 1980. The cell structure and ultrastructure of liver tissue in fresh water fish.Acta Scientiarum Naturalium Universitis Sunyatiseni 3: 93–99.Google Scholar