Structure determination of Ls-threonine by neutron diffraction
- 37 Downloads
The structure of the aminoacid, Ls-threonine [NH 3 + CH(CHOHCH3)COO−], space groupP212121,a=13.630(5),b=7.753(1),c=5.162(2) Å,z=4, has been determined from neutron diffraction data using direct methods. The intensities of 1148 neutron Bragg reflections were measured from a single crystal. The structural parameters were refined by the method of least squares using anisotropic temperature factors. The finalR(F 2) is 0.068. The structure was also refined from the x-ray data of Shoemakeret al (1950J. Am. Chem. Soc. 72 2328); there is good agreement between the two sets of heavy atom parameters. The parameters of hydrogen atoms are of course more precisely determined in our neutron study. The molecular conformation and the hydrogen bonding scheme are discussed. Weighted average values of bond distances and angles from 14 aminoacid structures with ionized carboxylic groups studied by neutron diffraction at Brookheven and Trombay are also presented.
KeywordsLs-threonine neutron diffraction hydrogen bonding direct methods
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Busing W R, Martin K O and Levy H A 1962 Oak Ridge National Laboratory Report No. TM-305 (with modifications due to W C Hamilton, J A Ibers, C K Johnson, S Srikanta and S K Sikka)Google Scholar
- Busing W R, Martin K O and Levy H A 1964 Oak Ridge National Laboratory Report No. TM-306Google Scholar
- Gupta S C, Sequeira A and Chidambaram R 1973Acta Crystallogr. under publication.Google Scholar
- Johnson C K 1965 ORTEP report ORNL-3794Google Scholar
- Momin S N, Sequeira A and Chidambaram R 1969Abstracts of Seminar on Crystallography, Centre of Advanced Study in Physics, Madras.Google Scholar
- Ramanadham M 1970 UnpublishedGoogle Scholar
- Sikka S K 1969 “The phase problem in neutron diffraction” Ph.D. thesis, Bombay UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Sikka S K 1970 BARC report No. 491 (BARC, Bombay)Google Scholar
- Srikanta S 1968 UnpublishedGoogle Scholar
- Srikanta S and Sequeira A 1968 UnpublishedGoogle Scholar
- Zalkin A 1962 UnpublishedGoogle Scholar