Theoretical optimization of metalp–n silicon Schottky barrier solar cell
- 48 Downloads
The theoretical optimization of the design parametersN A ,N D andW P has been done for efficient operation of Au-p-n Si solar cell including thermionic field emission, dependence of lifetime and mobility on impurity concentrations, dependence of absorption coefficient on wavelength, variation of barrier height and hence the optimum thickness ofp region with illumination. The optimized design parametersN D =5×1020 m−3,N A =3×1024 m−3 andW P =11.8 nm yield efficiencyη=17.1% (AM0) andη=19.6% (AM1). These are reduced to 14.9% and 17.1% respectively if the metal layer series resistance and transmittance with ZnS antireflection coating are included. A practical value ofW P =97.0 nm gives an efficiency of 12.2% (AM1).
KeywordsOptimization silicon metalp-n structure solar cell
PACS No85.30 85.60
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fossum J G 1976Solid State Electron 18 309Google Scholar
- Heavens O S 1955Optical properties of thin solid films (London: Butterworths) 69Google Scholar
- Hovel H J 1975Semiconductors and semimetals, Solar cells (eds) R K Willardson and A C Beer (New York: Academic Press) Vol. 11Google Scholar
- Irvin J C 1962Bell System Tech. J. 41 387Google Scholar
- Kendall D 1969 Conf. Physics and Applications of Lithium Diffused Silicon, NASA-Goddard Space Flight Centre, USAGoogle Scholar
- Kuester J L and Mize J H 1975Optimization techniques with Fortran (New York: McGraw Hill) p. 368Google Scholar
- Mott N F 1962Elements of wave mechanics (Cambridge: University Press)Google Scholar
- Runyan W R 1967 NASA Report CR 93154Google Scholar
- Sze S M 1981Physics of semiconductor devices (New York: John Wiley)Google Scholar