Ion-sound turbulence due to shock gradients in collisionless plasmas
- 25 Downloads
The dispersion relation for ion sound waves generated in a perpendicular shock is derived and the energy density of ion-sound turbulence is obtained using quasilinear theory. The result is compared with the lower hybrid turbulence generated under similar conditions. It is shown that ion-sound turbulence is a better candidate for the generation of type-I radio bursts in the solar corona.
KeywordsIon-sound turbulence quasilinear effects lower hybrid turbulence type-I radio bursts
PACS No52.35 96.60
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Galeev A A 1976 inPhysics of solar planetary environments (eds) D J Williams (Florida: American Geophysical Union) 1 464Google Scholar
- Gopalswamy N, Thejappa G and Sastry Ch V 1984 inProc. III Indo-USSR Workshop on Plasma Astrophysics, Chandigarh (to be published)Google Scholar
- Kaplan S A and Tsytovich V N 1973Plasma Astrophysics (Oxford: Pergamon)Google Scholar
- Krall N A 1968Advances in plasma physics (eds) A Simon and W B Thompson (New York: Interscience Vol. 1, p. 162Google Scholar
- Krall N A and Trivelpiece A N 1973Principles of plasma physics (Tokyo: McGraw-Hill)Google Scholar
- Tidman D A and Krall N A 1971Shock waves in collisionless plasmas (New York: Interscience)Google Scholar
- Wentzel D G 1982 inProc. Fourth CESRA Workshop on Solar Noise Storms (eds) A O Benz and P Zlobec, Trieste Observatory, Trieste, p. 145Google Scholar