Bethe’s contributions to solid state theory: A tribute
This article attempts to acquaint the reader with the seminal contributions made by Hans Albrecht Bethe to the area of solid state theory. It should be read in conjunction with the other tributes to Bethe’s work that appeared in the October 2005 issue ofResonance.
KeywordsCrystal field theory Bethe’s Ansatz Bethe-Peierls method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- e.g. seeSelected Works of H A Bethe, World Scientific, Vol.18, 1997, series in 20th Century Physics.Google Scholar
- e.g. see M Tinkham,Group Theory and Quantum Mechanics, McGraw-Hill, 1964.Google Scholar
- e.g. see J C Slater,Quantum Theory of Atomic Structure, Vols I and II, McGraw-Hill, 1960.Google Scholar
- e.g. see N Ashcroft and N D Mermin, SolidState Physics, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1976.Google Scholar
- e.g. see A Abragam and B Bleany,Electron Paramagnetic Resonance of Transition Ions, Clarendon press, Oxford 1970.Google Scholar
- e.g. see M B Salamon and M Jaime,Rev. Mod. Phys., Vol. 73, p. 583, 2001 and T V Ramakrishnan, H R Krishnamurthy, S R Hassan and Pai G Venketeswera, inColossalMagnetoresisrive Manganites, ed.T Chatterji, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, Netherlands, Feb. 2004, condmat/0308396, 2003.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- E Garfield, Citation Classics. 3. Articles from the Physical Sciences Published in the 1930’s, Current Contents, Vol. 44, p. 5–9, 1976.Google Scholar
- R J Baxter,Exactly Solved Models of Statistical Mechanics, Academic Press, 1982.Google Scholar
- B S Shastry, S S Jha and V Singh (eds),Exactly Solved Problems in Condensed Matter and Relativistic Field Theory, Springer Verlag, 1985.Google Scholar
- VE Korepin, A G Izergin and N M Bogoliubov, QuantumInverse Scattering Method and Corrrelation Functions, Cambridge University Press, 1993.Google Scholar
- bN Andrei, Lectures at the Trieste Summer School 1992, condmatt/9408101Google Scholar
- M Takahashi, Thermodyanamics of One-dimensional Solvable Models, Cambridge University Press, 1999.Google Scholar