Effect of Astragalus injection on plasma levels of apoptosis-related factors in aged patients with chronic heart failure
- 42 Downloads
Objective: To investigate the effect of Astragalus injection (AI) on plasma levels of apoptosis-related factors in aged patients with chronic heart failure (CHF).Methods: Seventy-two CHF patients were randomly divided into the AI group (36 cases) treated with AI and the control group (36 cases) treated with conventional treatment. Plasma levels of soluble Fas (sFas), soluble Fas ligand (sFasL), tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-α) and interleukin-6 (IL-6) were measured by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISA) with monoclonal anti-human antibodies. Besides, New York Heart Association (NYHA) grading was assessed according to improved symptoms and left ventricular end-diastolic volume (LVEDV), left ventricular end-systolic volume (LVESV) and left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) were assessed by echocardiogram after 4 weeks of treatment.Results: After 4 weeks of treatment, NYHA grading was markedly improved in the two groups, but it was significantly better in AI group than that in the control group (P<0.05). As compared with the control group, sFas, sFasL,TNF-α and IL-6 in the AI group were obviously lower, the difference between the two groups and between before and after treatment were significant (P<0.05 orP 0.01). Moreover, in AI group, LVESV and LVEDV decreased, LVEF increased, which was significantly different than that before treatment (P<0.05), respectively.Conclusion: AI could lower plasma levels of apoptosis-related factors, and is one of the effective drugs in improving cardiac function in the aged patients with CHF.
Key Wordschronic heart failure the aged apoptosis cytokines Astragalus injection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Zhou ZL, Yu P, Lin D, et al. Study on effect of Astragalus injection in treating congestive heart failure. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chin) 2001;21(10): 747–749.Google Scholar
- 8.Wang GY, Guo XM. Effects of Radix Astragali on the nitric oxide, free radicals and apoptosis of thymus in aging mice. J Mudanjiang Med Coll 2004;25(4): 14–15.Google Scholar
- 9.Song DJ, Gu GD, Mao SY, et al. Effect of Astragalus membranaceus on spontaneously hypertensive rats. Chin Tradit Herbal Drugs 1989;20(8): 25–28.Google Scholar
- 10.Zhong F, Du JZ, Yu XH, et al. Effect of Astragaloside on apoptosis in viral myocarditis. J Nanhua Univ (Med ed) 2004;32(l): 17–19.Google Scholar
- 11.Jiang LM, Li W, Wei KL. Effects of Astragalus Injection on perforin in myocardial infiltrating cell and expression of FasL mRNA in mice with acute myocarditis. For Med (Fascicle of Pediatrics) 2003;30(2): 111–112.Google Scholar
- 12.Liu ZG, Xiong ZM, Yu XY. Effect of Astragalus Injection on immune function in patients with congestive heart failure. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chin) 2003;23(5): 351–353.Google Scholar
- 13.Ruan CW, Zhang DF, Wang SS, et al, The effects of Huangqi on myocyte apoptosis and the expression of apoptosis-associated genes in rat heart with acute myocardial ischemia and reperfusion. J Tongji Univ (Med Sci) 2003;24(3): 182–184.Google Scholar