A study of edge characteristics of sheared and bent steel plate
The objective of this investigation was to gain an understanding of the phenomenon of edge crack formation during the bending of plate cut to size by shearing. The stages of sheared edge creation as well as the effect which blade gap and dullness have on the sheared edge properties were studied using the microhardness scanning technique.
The material used throughout this experimental work was AISI 1020 hot-rolled steel 6.4 mm (0.25 in.) thick. Bending of actual sheared edges was performed to evaluate the effect of shearing process control and subsequent sheared edge treatments prior to bending on the magnitude of edge cracking. Significant results of this study show that shearing blade gap and dullness affect the magnitude of edge cracking. The presence of a burr on the sheared edge did not significantly affect the magnitude of edge cracking. Annealing of the sheared edge eliminated edge cracking completely.
KeywordsRake Angle Edge Crack Work Material Rolling Reduction Apply Metalworking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H.J. Crasemann:Mitt. Forschungsgesellschaft Blechverarbeitung, 1962, no. 14/15, pp. 193–211.Google Scholar
- 2.F.W. Timmerbeil:Werkstattstechnik und Maschinenbau, 1957, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 231–234, and no. 7, pp. 350–356.Google Scholar
- 3.F.W. Timmerbeil:Werkstattstechnik und Maschinenbau, 1956, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 58–66.Google Scholar
- 4.K. Lange (ed.):Lehrbuch der Umformtechnik, vol. 3, chap. 4, Springer, 1975.Google Scholar
- 5.K. J. Weinmann and R. J. Shippell:Proceedings 6th North American Metalworking Research Conference, 1978, pp. 220–227.Google Scholar
- 6.G. Gerard:J. Aeronaut. Sci., 1946, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 161–170.Google Scholar
- 7.G. Sachs:The Principles and Methods of Sheet Metal Fabricating, Reinhold Publishing Corporation, 1951.Google Scholar
- 8.G. S. Sangdahl, E. L. Aul, and G. Sachs:Proceedings Soc. Exp. Stress Analysis, 1948, vol. 6, p. 1.Google Scholar
- 9.D. Tabor:J. Inst. Met., 1951, vol. 79, p. 1.Google Scholar
- 10.H. Wilhelm: Report No. 9, Intitut für Umformtechnik, Universität Stuttgart, 1969 (in German).Google Scholar
- 11.Metals Handbook, “Forming,” 8th ed., vol. 4, American Society for Metals.Google Scholar
- 12.H. P. Weaver: “A Study of Sheared Edge Properties,” M.S. Thesis, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, Michigan, 1980.Google Scholar
- 13.R.G. Davies:J. Appl. Metalwork., 1983, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 293–299.Google Scholar