On CNC commuting contractive tuples
- 58 Downloads
The characteristic function has been an important tool for studying completely non-unitary contractions on Hilbert spaces. In this note, we consider completely non-coisometric contractive tuples of commuting operators on a Hilbert space H. We show that the characteristic function, which is now an operator-valued analytic function on the open Euclidean unit ball in ℂn, is a complete unitary invariant for such a tuple. We prove that the characteristic function satisfies a natural transformation law under biholomorphic mappings of the unit ball. We also characterize all operator-valued analytic functions which arise as characteristic functions of pure commuting contractive tuples.
KeywordsCharacteristic function invariant subspaces biholomorphic automorphisms functional model coincidence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ambrozie C and Eschmeier J, A commutant lifting theorem on analytic polyhedra (2005) (Banach Center Publ.) vol. 67, pp. 83–108Google Scholar
- Ball J A, Trent T T and Vinnikov V, Interpolation and commutant lifting for multipliers on reproducing kernrel Hilbert spaces, in: Operator Theory and Analyisis, OT 122 (2001) (Birkhauser: Bassel) pp. 89–138Google Scholar
- Benhida C and Timotin D, Characteristic functions for multicontractions and automorphisms of the unit ball, http:/arxiv.org/pdf/math.OA/0509094Google Scholar
- Davis C, Some dilation and representation theorems, Proceedings of the Second International Symposium in West Africa on Functional Analysis and its Applications (Kumasi, 1979), Forum forFunct.Anal. Appl. (Kumasi, Ghana, 1979)pp. 159–182, MR 84e: 47012Google Scholar
- Popescu G, Operator theory on non commutative varietiesII,Proc. Am. Math. Soc., to appearGoogle Scholar
- Rudin W, Function theory in the unit ball of ℂn (1980) (New York: Springer) MR 82i: 32002Google Scholar
- Sz-Nagy B and Foias C, Harmonic analysis of operators on Hilbert space (1970) (North-Holland) MR 43: 947Google Scholar