Seismic fragility analysis of a CANDU type NPP containment building for near-fault ground motions
- 338 Downloads
In this study, the seismic fragility of a CANDU (CANada Deuterium Uranium) containment building is estimated by performing the nonlinear seismic analysis for the near-fault earthquakes. The lumped mass model of the containment building was used for a nonlinear dynamic time history analysis. The tri-linear skeleton curve was used for the nonlinear behavior of the prestressed concrete containment building. In order to estimate the inelastic nonlinear response of the containment, the maximum point oriented model was used for the hysteretic rule of the shear deformation. For the nonlinear seismic analyses, 30 set of real near-fault earthquake records were used as the input motion. The seismic responses and seismic fragility of the containment for the near-fault ground motions are compared with the responses and fragility for the design ground motion generally used in Korea.
Keywordsseismic fragility containment building near-fault ground motion nonlinear seismic analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ang ZH-s, Tang W.H. (1975).Probability Concepts in Engineering Planning and Design, Basic Principles, Vol. 1, Wiley, New York, NY.Google Scholar
- CANATOM (1994).Wolsung 2 Nuclear Power Plant—Design Report for Reactor Building Containment Structure Stress Analysis, 8602-21020-0002-00-DR-A.Google Scholar
- Ellingwood, Bruce R. (2001). “Earthquake Risk Assessment of Building Structures”,Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 74.Google Scholar
- Kennedy, R.P. and Ravindra, M.K. (1984). “Seismic Fragilities for Nuclear Power Plant Risk Studies,”Nuclear Engineering and Design, 79.Google Scholar
- KINS (2000). Development ofSeismic Safety Evaluation Technology for NPP Sites, KINS/GR-206.Google Scholar
- Koh, H.-M., Shin, H.-M., Hyun, C.-H., and Cho, H.H. (2003). “Seismic Damage Assessment for PSC NPP Containment Structure,”Proceedings of the 2003 KSCE.Google Scholar
- NRC (1973).Design Response Spectra for Seismic Design of Nuclear Power Plants, US NRC Regulatory Guide 1.60.Google Scholar
- Ozaki, M., Okazaki, A., Tomomoto, K., Iba, T., Satoh, R., Nanba, H., Seya, H., Moriyama, K., and Ugata, T. (1998).Improved Response Factor Methods for Seismic Fragility of Reactors Building, Nuclear Engineering and Design, 185.Google Scholar
- Park, Y.J. and Hofmayer, C.H. (1994).Technical Guidelines for Aseismic Design of Nuclear Power Plants, Translation of JEAG 4601-1987, NUREG/CR-6241.Google Scholar
- Vanmarcke, E.H., Cornell, C.A., Gasparini, D.A., and Hou, S.N. (1976).SIMOKE: A Program for Artificial Generation User’s Manual and Documentation, Department of Civil Engineering, MIT.Google Scholar