Continuous growth ofCandida utilis under periodic change of growth-limiting substrate
- 24 Downloads
A periodic change of limitation by glucose and ammonia was effected during continuous cultivation ofCandida utilis. Values of feed parameters providing periodic nitrogen limitation were established. Cell biomass yield, macromolecular composition and parameters of individual cells (cell mass, budding percentage and cell-wall polysaccharide per surface square unit) were examined. The cyclic regime was found to result in culture synchrony. Parametêrs obtained on the basis of cell counts displayed a high sensitivity to changes in limitation where as the remaining parameters were less sensible.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cooney C.L., Koplov H.M., Häggström M.: Transient phenomena in continuous culture, pp. 143–168 inContinuous Cultures of Cells (P.H. Calcott, Ed.), Vol. 1, CRC Press, Boca Raton (Florida) 1981.Google Scholar
- Kalyuzhin V.A., Evdokimov E.V., Plekhanov G.F.: The dynamics of development of the yeast response on the heat stress during continuous cultivation. (In Russian)Mikrobiologiya53, 923–927 (1984).Google Scholar
- Krinitskaya A.Yu., Minkevich I.G.: The effect of alternating cultivation conditions on the yeast chemostat culture. (In Russian)Abstr. 7th Congr. VMO (The All-Union Microbiological Society), Vol. 2, p. 80. Nauka, Alma-Ata 1985.Google Scholar
- Lloyd D., Poole R.K., Edwards S.W.:The Cell Division Cycle. Temporal Organization and Control of Cellular Growth and Reproductioon. Academic Press, London 1982.Google Scholar
- Minkevich I.G., Eroshin V.K., Alekseeva T.A., Tereshchenko A.P.: The elemental composition and energy content of microbial biomass. (In Russian)Microbiol. Ind. No. 2, 1–4 (1977).Google Scholar
- Sokolov D.P., Lirova S.A., Senyushkin A.A., Rabotnova I.L.: The effect of cyclic variations of pH and pO2 onCandida utilis chemostat culture. (In Russian)Mikrobiologiya53, 772–776 (1984).Google Scholar