Chlamydial infection of cats and human health
Chlamydia psittaci var.felis is considered as a primary and important agent in the etiology of infectious diseases of the upper respiratory tract and eyes in cats, having zoonotic potential. We investigated 13 cats aged between 2 months and 7 years, in which conjunctivitis, rhinitis, laryngotracheitis, bronchopneumonia and lymph adenopathy was clinically diagnosed. To detect the antigen ofC. psittaci the Clearview Chlamydia Direct Test was used for the first time. The presence ofC. psittaci in 10 of 13 investigated cats and in 8 nasal mucosa smears from 10 investigated cats were confirmed in conjunctiva. Using bacteriological examination different species of the genusStaphylococcus in conjunctiva from all 13 investigated animals were also confirmed. Serological investigation using complement fixation test was negative in all animals.
KeywordsRhinitis Conjunctivitis Felis Chlamydia Trachomatis Chlamydial Infection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Celer V. Jr., Kulhánková H., Celer V.: Detection of feline immunodeficiency provirus by seminested polymerase chain reaction.45, 161–166 (2000).Google Scholar
- Compendium on Continuing Education: Feline vaccine selection and admninistration.Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practising Veterinarian 23, 71–80 (2001).Google Scholar
- Dorin S.E., Miller W.W., Goodwin J.K.: Diagnosing and treating chlamydial conjunctivitis in cats.Veter. Med. Pet Pract. 88, 322–330 (1993).Google Scholar
- Everett K.D.E., Bush R.M., Andersen A.A.: Emended description of the orderChlamydiales, proposal ofParachlamydiacae fam.nov. andSimkaniacae fam.nov., each containing one monotypic genus, revised taxonomy of the familyChlamydiacae, including a new genus and five new species, and standards for the identification of organisms.Internat. J. Syst. Bacteriol. 49, 415–440 (1999).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ganière J.P., Ruoven N., Hostis M., Andre-Fontaine G.: Infectious zoonoses.Pathol. Féline 34, Suppl. 3, 463–472 (1999).Google Scholar
- Chardy B., Jacobs R.: Chlamydiosis of cats, I. part.Magazyn Weterynaryjny 3, 23–24 (1994).Google Scholar
- Latour S.: Pathologie respiratoire infectieuse.Pathol. féline 34, Suppl. 3, 289–297 (1999).Google Scholar
- Manual of Standards for Diagnostic Tests and Vaccines: OIE/WHO, 384–388 (1996).Google Scholar
- Mardzinová S., Trávniček M., Weissová T., Valocký I., Halanová M.: Clinical case of feline chlamydiosis. (In Slovak)Slovenský veterinársky časopis 26, 74–77 (2001).Google Scholar