Enumeration ofQ-acyclic simplicial complexes
- 433 Downloads
Let (n, k) be the class of all simplicial complexesC over a fixed set ofn vertices (2≦k≦n) such that: (1)C has a complete (k−1)-skeleton, (2)C has precisely ( k n−1 )k-faces, (3)H k (C)=0. We prove that for,Hk−1(C) is a finite group, and our main result is:. This formula extends to high dimensions Cayley’s formula for the number of trees onn labelled vertices. Its proof is based on a generalization of the matrix tree theorem.
KeywordsFinite Group Simplicial Complex Incidence Matrix Algebraic Topology Free Abelian Group
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. S. Aleksandrov,Combinatorial Topology, Graylock Press, 1960.Google Scholar
- 2.N. L. Biggs,Algebraic Graph Theory, Cambridge University Press, 1974.Google Scholar
- 3.J. W. S. Cassels,An Introduction to the Geometry of Numbers, Springer Verlag, 1959.Google Scholar
- 4.Marshal M. Cohen,A Course in Simple Homotopy Theory, GTM Springer Verlag, 1970.Google Scholar
- 5.F. R. Gantmacher,The Theory of Matrices, Chelsea Publ. Co., 1960.Google Scholar
- 6.C. R. F. Maunder,Algebraic Topology, Van Nostrand, 1970.Google Scholar
- 7.J. W. Moon,Counting Labelled Trees, Canadian Mathematical Congress, 1970.Google Scholar
- 8.E. H. Spanier,Algebraic Topology, McGraw-Hill, 1966.Google Scholar
- 9.W. Tutte,On the spanning trees of self-dual maps, inSecond International Conference on Combinatorial Mathematics (A. Gewirtz and L. V. Quintas, eds.), The New York Academy of Science, 1979, pp. 540–548.Google Scholar
© Hebrew University 1983