On multivariate approximation by integer translates of a basis function
- 82 Downloads
Approximation properties of the dilations of the integer translates of a smooth function, with some derivatives vanishing at infinity, are studied. The results apply to fundamental solutions of homogeneous elliptic operators and to “shifted” fundamental solutions of the iterated Laplacian. Following the approach from spline theory, the question of polynomial reproduction by quasi-interpolation is addressed first. The analysis makes an essential use of the structure of the generalized Fourier transform of the basis function. In contrast with spline theory, polynomial reproduction is not sufficient for the derivation of exact order of convergence by dilated quasi-interpolants. These convergence orders are established by a careful and quite involved examination of the decay rates of the basis function. Furthermore, it is shown that the same approximation orders are obtained with quasi-interpolants defined on a bounded domain.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AS]M. Abramowitz and I. Stegun,A Handbook of Mathematical Functions, Dover, New York, 1970.Google Scholar
- [B2]C. de Boor,Quasiinterpolants and approximation power of multivariate splines, inComputation of Curves and Surfaces (M. Gasca and C.A. Micchelli, eds.), Dordrecht, Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1990, pp. 313–345.Google Scholar
- [DL]N. Dyn and D. Levin,Bell shaped basis functions for surface fitting, inApproximation Theory and Applications (Z. Ziegler, ed.), Academic Press, New York, 1981, pp. 113–129.Google Scholar
- [GS]I.M. Gelfand and G.E. Shilov,Generalized Functions, Vol. 1, Academic Press, New York, 1964.Google Scholar
- [H]L. Hörmander,The Analysis of Linear Partial Differential Operators, Volume 1, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1983.Google Scholar
- [J2]I.R.H. Jackson,Radial Basis Function Methods for Multivariable Approximation, Ph.D. Thesis, Cambridge University, 1988.Google Scholar
- [R1]C. Rabut,Polyharmonic cardinal B-splines, Part A: Elementary B-splines, preprint, 1989.Google Scholar
- [R2]C. Rabut,Polyharmonic cardinal B-splines, Part B: Quasi-interpolating B-splines, preprint, 1989.Google Scholar
- [SF]G. Strang and G. Fix,A Fourier analysis of the finite element variational method, inConstructive Aspects of Functional Analysis (G. Geymonet, ed.), 1973, pp. 793–840.Google Scholar
- [SW]E.M. Stein and G. Weiss,Introduction to Fourier Analysis on Euclidean Spaces, Princeton University Press, 1971.Google Scholar