The Erdős-Heilbronn problem in Abelian groups
- 115 Downloads
Solving a problem of Erdős and Heilbronn, in 1994 Dias da Silva and Hamidoune proved that ifA is a set ofk residues modulo a primep,p≥2k−3, then the number of different elements of ℤ/pℤ that can be written in the forma+a′ wherea, a′ ∈A,a∈a′, is at least 2k−3. Here we extend this result to arbitrary Abelian groups in which the order of any nonzero element is at least 2k−3.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. Eliahou and M. Kervaire,Restricted sumsets in finite vector spaces: the case p=3, Integers1 (2001), Research paper A2, 19 pages (electronic).Google Scholar
- P. Erdős and R. L. Graham,Old and New Problems and Results in Combinatorial Number Theory, L’Enseignement Mathématique, Geneva, 1980.Google Scholar
- Gy. Károlyi,A compactness argument in the additive theory and the polynomial method, Discrete Mathematics (2003), to appear.Google Scholar
- V. F. Lev,Restricted set addition in groups. II: A generalization of the Erdős-Heilbronn conjecture, Electronic Journal of Combinatorics7 (2000), Research paper R4, 10 pages (electronic).Google Scholar
- V. F. Lev, Personal communication.Google Scholar
- M. B. Nathanson,Additive Number Theory. Inverse Problems and the Geometry of Sumsets, GTM165, Springer, Berlin, 1996.Google Scholar