Pressure and equilibrium states for countable state markov shifts
- 129 Downloads
We give a general definition of the topological pressurePtop(f, S) for continuous real valued functionsf: X→ℝ on transitive countable state Markov shifts (X, S). A variational principle holds for functions satisfying a mild distortion property. We introduce a new notion of Z-recurrent functions. Given any such functionf, we show a general method how to obtain tight sequences of invariant probability measures supported on periodic points such that a weak accumulation pointμ is an equilibrium state forf if and only if εf−dμ<∞. We discuss some conditions that ensure this integrability. As an application we obtain the Gauss measure as a weak limit of measures supported on periodic points.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [G]B. M. Gurevic,Topological entropy of enumerable Markov Chains, Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR187 (1969); English transl.: Soviet Mathematics Doklady10 (1969), 911–915.Google Scholar
- [P]K. R. Parthasaraty,Probability Measures on Metric Spaces, Academic Press, New York, 1967.Google Scholar
- [S3]O. Sarig,Thermodynamic formalism for countable Markov shifts, Thesis, Tel Aviv University, April 2000.Google Scholar
- [R]D. Ruelle,Thermodynamic formalism, inEncyclopedia of Mathematics and its Applications, Vol. 5, Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1978.Google Scholar
- [W1]P. Walters,An Introduction to Ergodic Theory, GTM, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1981.Google Scholar