Plasma selenium levels in rheumatoid arthritis
- 41 Downloads
The plasma selenium (Se) levels were determined in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and healthy controls. Plasma Se levels in 60 patients were found to be significantly lower than those in 60 normal, healthy controls (p<0.001). Similar significant differences were determined in sex-matched comparisons between patients and controls (p<0.001) but there was no significant difference in plasma Se levels in sex-matched comparisons in both groups (p>0.05).
Our results suggest that Se is an important factor in RA.
Index EntriesPlasma selenium rhematoid arthritis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.E. Munte, J. Aaseth, and E. Jellum, Trace elements and rheumatoid arthritis (RA)-pathogenetic and therapeutic aspects.Acta. Pharmacol. Toxicol.,59, (Suppl 7), 365–373 (1986).Google Scholar
- 5.Food and Nutrition Board,National Research Council Recommended Dietary Allowances, 9th ed., National Academy of Sciences, Washington (1980).Google Scholar
- 6.Editorial: Rheumatoid arthritis and selenium,Nutr. Rev.,46, 284–286, (1988).Google Scholar
- 10.K. Köse, P. Doĝan, Y. Kardas, and R. Saraymen, Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant activity in rheumatoid arthritis.Tr. J. Med. Sci. 22, 31–34, 1994.Google Scholar
- 14.B. Dawson-Saunders, and R. G. Trapp, Basic and Clinical Biostatistics, Appleton and Lange, Connecticut, 101–103, 1990.Google Scholar
- 15.E. D. Harris, Pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis.Textbook of Rheumatology, (Kelley, W. N. Ed.) W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia. 905–942, 1989.Google Scholar
- 22.G. F. Combs, Jr. and S. B. Combs, The Role of Selenium in Nutrition, Academic, New York, NY, 205–263 (1986).Google Scholar
- 25.U. Johansson, S. Portinsson, A. Akesson, H. Svantesson, P. A. Ockerman, and B. Akesson, Nutritional status in girls with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.Hum. Nutr. Clin. Nutr.,40, C:57 (1985).Google Scholar