Trace elements and lipid peroxidation in uremic patients on hemodialysis
- 50 Downloads
Trace elements and lipid peroxidation in 26 patients with chronic renal failure treated with hemodialysis and 25 healthy subjects were observed. Both plasma and erythrocyte trace elements and plasma malon dialdehyde (MDA) were examined immediately before and after hemodialysis. Increased levels of plasma Cu, MDA, and erythrocyte Pb, Mn, Zn, and a significantly decreased plasma Se, Zn and erythrocyte Se were found in patients before hemodialysis. After a single hemodialysis, erythrocyte Mn, Cu, Zn, and plasma Cu, Al, and MDA were significantly increased whereas both plasma and erythrocyte Se were lower in patients than in healthy subjects. The level of MDA was not significantly changed during the single hemodialysis. Both plasma and erythrocyte Zn levels and plasma Cu and Al were significantly higher after hemodialysis than before hemodialysis. In conclusion, levels of trace elements are altered by hemodialysis, which may increase patient susceptibility to lipid peroxidation in uremia.
Index EntriesMalondialdehyde trace elements uremic patients hemodialysis lipid peroxidation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. F. Maher inReplacement of Renal Function by Dialysis, 3rd Ed., Kluwer, Dordrecht, pp. 996–1003 (1989).Google Scholar
- 2.K. M. Robert, K. G. Daryl, A. M. Peter, and W. R. Victor inHarper's Biochemistry, 21st Ed., Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, pp. 138–139 (1988).Google Scholar
- 4.S. Humad, E. J. Zarling, and J. L. Skosey,Clin. Res.,33, 919A (1985).Google Scholar
- 7.T. Suematsu and H. Abe inLipid Peroxides in Medicine and Biology, Yagi, K., ed., Academic, New York, pp. 285–293 (1982).Google Scholar
- 10.F. W. Sunderman, Jr.,Acta. Pharmacol. Toxicol. 59, (Suppl 7), 248–255 (1986).Google Scholar
- 17.S-H-Y Wong, J. A. Knight, S. M. Hopfer, O. Zaharria, C. N. Leach, Jr., and F. W. Sunderman,J. Clin. Chem. 33, 214–220 (1987).Google Scholar
- 18.W. R. Smythe, A. C. Alfrey, R. C. Holman, and W. J. Schorr,Kidney Int. 12, 361 (1982).Google Scholar