Influence of season and diet on liver and kidney content of essential elements and heavy metals in svalbard reindeer
- 63 Downloads
Samples of liver (n=78) and kidney (n=60) from Svalbard reindeer (Rangifer tarandus platyrhynchus Vrolik) collected at four different seasons in Svalbard were analysed for their content of Cd, Pb, Cu, Zn, Mn, and Se. The study shows that when animals are exposed to large seasonal variations in both the quality and quantity of food, it is crucial to relate element concentrations to the physiological condition of the animal, e.g., to look at seasonal fluctuations in the total element content of the different organs.
Index EntriesCadmium copper kidney lead liver mangenese selenium Svalbard reindeer zinc
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.H. Staaland, I. Brattbakk, K. Ekern, and K. Kildemo, Chemical composition of reindeer forage plants in Svalbard and Norway.Holarc. Ecol. 6, 109–122 (1983).Google Scholar
- 4.H. Staaland, Trace elements in the alimentary tract of Svalbard reindeer.Rangifer 5, 15–21 (1985).Google Scholar
- 6.G. Norheim, High productivity analyses of elements in foods using automated digestion and atomic absorption techniques, inProc. 5th Europ. Conf. Food Chem. France, Vol. 2, pp. 730–734 (1989).Google Scholar
- 7.G. Norheim and A. Haugen, Precise determination of selenium in tissues using automated wet digestion and an automated hydride generator-atomic absorption spectroscopy system.Acta Pharmacol. Toxicol. 59 (Suppl VII), 610–612 (1986).Google Scholar
- 9.N. W. Solomons, Physiological interaction of minerals, inNutrient Interactions, C. E. Bodwell and J. W. Erdman, eds. Marcel Dekker, New York, pp. 115–148 (1988).Google Scholar
- 11.E. Steinnes, Atmospheric fallout of heavy metals in Northern Norway, inExcess and Deficiency of Trace Elements in Relation to Human and Animal Health in Arctic and Subarctic Regions, J. L→., ed., Norweg. Acad. Sci. Lett., Oslo, pp. 33–39 (1990).Google Scholar
- 13.A. Fröslie, Trace elements in reindeer and sheep from Sör-Varanger, Finnmark A preliminary study, inExcess and Deficiency of Trace Elements in Relation to Human and Animal Health in Arctic and Subarctic Regions, J. L→g, ed., Norweg. Acad. Sci. Lett., Oslo, pp. 200–201 (1990).Google Scholar