Multiple-needle insertion method in percutaneous ethanol injection therapy for liver neoplasms
- 25 Downloads
One of the shortcomings of percutaneous ethanol injection therapy (PEIT) is that many sessions are necessary to accomplish the treatment. In order to reduce the number of treatment sessions, we inserted two or three needles before injection of ethanol was begun. Using the multiple-needle insertion method, we markedly reduced the number of treatment sessions. Histopathologic examination, imaging techniques, and serum alpha-fetoprotein levels showed efficacy of PEIT using the multiple-needle insertion method. No serious complication occurred. Levels of transient pain, fever, and the feeling of intoxication did not seem to be different from those occurring with the conventional method. Multiple-needle insertion method may be valuable as a method for reducing the number of treatment sessions necessary and thus shortening the treatment period.
Key wordshepatocellular carcinoma liver neoplasms multiple-needle insertion method percutaneous ethanol injection therapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sugiura N, Takara K, Ohto M, et al: Percutaneous intratumoral injection of cthanol under ultrasound imaginf for treament of small hepatocellular vrcinom. Acta Hepat Jap 1983;24:920 (in japanese)Google Scholar
- 2.Sinagawa T, Ukaji H, Lino Y, et al: Intratumoral injection of aboslute ethanol funder under ultrasound imaging for treatment of small hepatocellular carcinoma: atteints in three cases. Acta Hepat Japan 1985;26:99–105 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 4.Tagawa K, Muto H, Yasuda H, et al: Therapeutic effects of ultrasonically guided ethanol infection for treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma. Jpn J Med Ultrasonics 1987; 14:743–744 (in japanese)Google Scholar
- 6.Shcu JC, Sung JL, Huang GT, et al: Intratumor injection of absolute ethanol under ultrasound guidance for the treatment of small hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatogastroenterol 1987;34: 255–261Google Scholar
- 7.Suyama Y, Horishi M, Ebisui S, et al: US guided intratumoral ethanol injection therapy to small liver cancer: clinical evaluation for twenty cases. J Jpn Soc Cancer Ther 1987;22:818–826 (in japanese)Google Scholar
- 8.Fujimoto T: The experimental and climincal studies of percutaneous ethanol injection therapy (PEIT) under ultrasonography for small hepatocellular carcinoma. Acta Hepat Jap 1988;29:52–59 (in japanese)Google Scholar
- 9.Ebara M, Nihei T, Ohto M: Intratumoral injection of absolute ethanol for treatment of small hepatocellualr carcinoma. Naika 1988;61:665–669 (in japanese)Google Scholar
- 12.Kubota Y, Nakano T, Seki T, et al: Validity of MR imaging for monitoring effects of percutaneous ethanol injection for HCC. Hepatogastroenterol 1989;36:262–265Google Scholar
- 15.Ido K, Hitomi N, Kawamoto T, et al: Ethanol injection therapy for the treatment of small hepatocellular carcinoma under peritoneoscopic ultrasound guidance. Acta Hepat Jap 1988;29:1121 (in Japanese)Google Scholar