Expression of MHC class II antigens (HLA-DR, -DP, and -DQ) on human gastric epithelium
- 48 Downloads
Class II antigen expression on gastric epithelium was investigated using an immunoperoxidase method in relation to the degree of inflammatory cell infiltration in the lamina propria. Sixty-six biopsy specimens from 43 patients with chronic gastritis were examined. The frequency of HLA-DR expression in specimens with cell infiltration was 94%, while that in specimens without cell infiltration was 24%. There was significant difference in the frequency of HLA-DR expression between the two groups (P<0.01). HLA DR fwas most intensely expressed in the glandular neck portion. The frequency and extent of class II antigen expression on gastric epithelium with cell infiltration were in the following order: DR>DP>DQ. The extent of DR and DP, but not DQ expression generally paralleled the degree of cell infiltration. Intestinal metaplasia was found in 13 specimens. In the area of intestinal metaplasia, epithelial class II staining was absent except for one specimen. These results suggest that the respectivegenes of three class II antigens are regulated by different mechanisms and that an immunological mechanism plays a role in the pathogenesis of gastritis.
Key wordsclass II antigens gastric epithelium HLA-DR HLA-DP HLA-DQ
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Thorsby E: Structure and function of HLA molecules. Transplantation Proc 1987;19:29–35.Google Scholar
- 20.Papadimitriou CS, Ioachim-Velogianni EE, Tsianos EB, et al: Epithelial HLA-DR expression and lymphocyte subsets in gastric mucosa in type B chronic gastritis. Virchows Arch [A] 1988;413: 197–204.Google Scholar
- 23.Matsumoto K: Studies of monoclonal antibodies specific to human leukocyte differentiation antigens. J Kurume Med Assoc 1984;47:1382–1397. (Japanese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- 34.Warren JR, Marshall B: Unidentified curved bacilli on gastric epithelium in active chronic gastritis. Lancet 1983;i: 1273–1275.Google Scholar
- 37.Thomas JM, Poynter D, Gooding C, et al: Gastric spiral bacteria. Lancet 1984;ii: 100.Google Scholar