Localization of a new enteric non-A, non-B [HEV] virus in target organ liver
ThirteenMacaca mulatta monkeys were used for transmission of enteric non-A, non-B hepatitis virus (HEV) by the portal vein (PV) route. All these animals developed changes which are found in selflimiting acute viral hepatitis e.g. rise in liver enzymes, the presence of HEV specific viral particles in the stool and histological changes in the liver from 21 to 45 days after HEV inoculation. All the animals recovered completely as reflected by normalization of liver enzymes, and regenerative changes in the liver. The present report highlights the ultrastructural changes in the livers of these experimental monkeys. The histopathological changes included infiltration of lymphocytes and polymorphonucleocytes around the necrotic area, swelling of mitochondria, dilation of smooth endoplasmic reticulum (ER), and presence of 27–34 nm virus particles during the acute phase of the disease. In comparison, 9 control monkeys did not show any such histological changes.
Key wordsHEV monkey
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Khuroo MS. Study of an epidemic of Non-A, Non-B hepatitis: Possibility of another human hepatitis virus distinct from post transfusion Non-A, Non-B type. Am J Med 1989;80:318–324.Google Scholar
- 2.Tandon BN, Joshi YK, Jain SK, et al. An epidemic of Non-A, NonB hepatitis in North India. Ind J Med Res 1982;75:739–744.Google Scholar
- 3.Balayan MS, Andjaparadize AG, Savinskaya SS, et al. Evidence for a virus in Non-A, Non-B hepatitis transmitted via the faeco-oral route. Intervirol 1983;20:23–31.Google Scholar
- 7.Gupta H, Tandon BN, Sriramchari S, et al. Animal transmission of enteric Non-A, Non-B hepatitis infection ofmacaca mulatto monkeys by faeco-oral route. Ind J Med Res 1990;91:87–90.Google Scholar
- 12.Gupta H, Tandon BN, Joshi YK, et al. Experiemental transmission of enteric Non-A, Non-B hepatitis virus inmacaca mulatto monkeys: Three subsequent passages of ENANB virus. J Gastroenterol & Hepatol 1990;5:608–615.Google Scholar
- 13.Doane FW, Anderson N. A practical guide and atlas. In: Electron microscopy in diagnositc virology. Cambridge University Press 1987; 19.Google Scholar
- 14.Gupta DN, Smethana HF. The histopathology of viral hepatitis as seen in Delhi epidemic. Ind J Med Res 1957;45(suppl.):77–84.Google Scholar