Amenability of Banach algebras of compact operators
- 138 Downloads
In this paper we study conditions on a Banach spaceX that ensure that the Banach algebraК(X) of compact operators is amenable. We give a symmetrized approximation property ofX which is proved to be such a condition. This property is satisfied by a wide range of Banach spaces including all the classical spaces. We then investigate which constructions of new Banach spaces from old ones preserve the property of carrying amenable algebras of compact operators. Roughly speaking, dual spaces, predual spaces and certain tensor products do inherit this property and direct sums do not. For direct sums this question is closely related to factorization of linear operators. In the final section we discuss some open questions, in particular, the converse problem of what properties ofX are implied by the amenability ofК(X).
KeywordsBanach Space Tensor Product Banach Algebra Approximation Property Approximate Identity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [A&F]A. Arias and J. Farmer,On the primarity of tensor products of ℓ p-spaces, manuscript in preparation.Google Scholar
- [D&U]J. Diestel and J. J. Uhl,Vector Measures, Math. Surveys, No. 15, Amer. Math. Soc., 1977.Google Scholar
- [G&M]W. T. Gowers and B. Maurey,The unconditional basic sequence problem, preprint.Google Scholar
- [G&W]N. Grønbæk and G. A. Willis,Approximate identities in Banach algebras of compact operators, to appear in Can. Math. Bull.Google Scholar
- [J]B.E. Johnson,Cohomology in Banach algebras, Mem. Amer. Math. Soc.127 (1972), 1–96.Google Scholar
- [L&P]J. Lindenstrauss and A. Pełczyński, Absolutely summing operators inL p-spaces and their applications, Studia Math.29 (1969), 275–326.Google Scholar
- [L&T II]
- [Pis]G. Pisier,Factorization of Linear Operators and Geometry of Banach Spaces (Regional Conference Series in Mathematics, No. 60), Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, Rhode Island, 1986.Google Scholar
- [Sh]M. V. Sheinberg,A characterization of the algebra C(Ω)in terms of cohomology groups, Uspekhi Matem. Nauk32 (1977), 203–204.Google Scholar