Independent sets in regular graphs and sum-free subsets of finite groups
- 252 Downloads
It is shown that there exists a function∈(k) which tends to 0 ask tends to infinity, such that anyk-regular graph onn vertices contains at most 2(1/2+∈(k))n independent sets. This settles a conjecture of A. Granville and has several applications in Combinatorial Group Theory.
KeywordsBipartite Graph Finite Group Regular Graph Cayley Graph Hadamard Matrix
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AK]N. Alon and D. J. Kleitman,Sum-free subsets, inA Tribute to Paul Erdös (A. Baker, B. Bollobás and A. Hajnal, eds.), Cambridge Univ. Press, 1990, pp. 13–26.Google Scholar
- [C]N. J. Calkin,On the number of sum-free sets, to appear.Google Scholar
- [Ca]P. J. Cameron,Portrait of a typical sum-free set, inSurveys in Combinatorics 1987 (C. Whitehead, ed.), London Math. Soc. Lecture Notes123, Cambridge Univ. Press, 1987, pp. 13–42.Google Scholar
- [CE]P. J. Cameron and P. Erdös,On the number of sets of integers with various properties, inProceedings of the 1988 Canadian Number Theory Conference at Banff (R. Mollin, ed.), to appear.Google Scholar
- [EL]P. Erdös and L. Lovász,Problems and results on 3-chromatic hypergraphs and some related questions, inInfinite and Finite Sets (A. Hajnalet al., eds.), North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1975, pp. 609–628.Google Scholar
- [Ka]G. O. H. Katona,A theorem on finite sets, inTheory of Graphs (P. Erdös and G. O. H. Katona, eds.), Akadémiai Kiadó, Budapest, 1968, pp. 187–207.Google Scholar
- [Kr]J. B. Kruskal,The number of simplices in a complex, inMathematical Optimization Techniques, Univ. of California Press, Berkeley, 1963, pp. 251–278.Google Scholar
- [WSW]W. D. Wallis, Anne Penfold Street and Jennifer Seberry Wallis,Combinatorics, Room Squares, Sum-free Sets, Hadamard Matrices, Lecture Notes in Mathematics292, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg and New York, 1972, Part 3, pp. 123–277.Google Scholar