Apparent molar volumes of aqueous sodium trifluoromethanesulfonate and trifluoromethanesulfonic acid from 283 K to 600 K and pressures up to 20 MPa
- 101 Downloads
Relative densities of NaCF3SO3(aq) at molalities 0.073 ≤ m/(mol-kg-1) ≤ 1.68 were measured with vibrating-tube densimeters from 283 K to 600 K and from 0.1 MPa to 20 MPa. Relative densities of HCF3SO3(aq) at molalities 0.12 < m/(mol-kg-1) < 2.1 were determined at temperatures from 283 K to 328 K at 0.1 MPa. Apparent molar volumes calculated from the measured densities were represented by the Pitzer ion-interaction treatment. The temperature and pressure dependence of the standard partial molar volume and the second virial coefficients in the Pitzer equation were expressed by empirical expressions in which the compression coefficient of water and temperature were used as independent variables. The conventional standard partial molar volumes V‡(CF3SO 3 - , aq) fromT = 283 K to 573 K were calculated from the experimental values for V‡(NaCF3SO3, aq) and known values for V‡(Na+, aq). The values of V‡(CF3SO3/-, aq) at temperatures from 283 K to 328 K obtained from the values of V‡(NaCF3SO3, aq) and V‡(HCF3SO3, aq) agree to within 1.2 cm3-mol-1.
Key WordsApparent molar volume density trifluoromethanesulfonate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. N. Haszeldine and J. M. Kidd,J. Chem. Soc. 4228 (1954).Google Scholar
- 7.C. Xiao, H. Bianchi, and P. R. Tremaine,J. Chem. Thermodyn., in press.Google Scholar
- 8.P. G. Hill,J. Phys. Chem. Ref. Data 19, 1233 (1990).Google Scholar
- 9.D. G. Archer,J. Phys. Chem. Ref. Data 21, 793 (1992).Google Scholar
- 10.K. S. Pitzer,Activity Coefficients in Electrolyte Solutions, 2nd edition, (CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, 1991).Google Scholar
- 12.H. C. Helgeson and D. H. Kirkham,Am. J. Sci. 97, 276 (1976).Google Scholar
- 17.P. R. Tremaine, D. Shvedov, and C. Xiao,J. Phys. Chem. B101, 409 (1997).Google Scholar
- 22.J. C. Tanger and H. C. Helgeson,Am. J. Sci. 19, 288 (1988).Google Scholar
- 27.S. N. L’vov, V. I. Zarembo, and V. N. Gilyarov,Geokhimiya 4, 505 (1981).Google Scholar
- 28.J. M. Gates, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware, 1985.Google Scholar
- 29.C. Xiao, T. Pham, and P. R. Tremaine, to be published.Google Scholar