Quasi-identities of finite semigroups and symbolic dynamics
- 45 Downloads
An algebra is inherently non-finitely (Q-)based if it is not a member of any locally finite (quasi-)variety, whose (quasi-)identities are finitely based. We prove that no finite semigroup is inherently non-finitely Q-based. This is in marked contrast to the case of varieties, where there are many inherently non-finitely based finite semigroups which have all been described by the second author.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [L] E. S. Ljapin,Semigroups, Translations of the American Mathematical Society, Vol. 3, AMS, Providence, R.I., 1963.Google Scholar
- [LV] Aldo de Luca and Stefano Varricchio,Combinatorial properties of uniformly recurrent words and an application to semigroups, International Journal of Algebra and Computation2 (1991), 227–245.Google Scholar
- [LW] John Lawrence and Ross Willard,On finitely based groups and nonfinitely based quasivaarieties, Journal of Algebra, to appear.Google Scholar
- [Meakin] J. Meakin,Invitation to inverse semigroups, to appearGoogle Scholar
- [McNSh] G. McNulty and C. Shallon,Inherently nonfinitely based finite algebras, Lecture Notes in Mathematics1004, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1983, pp. 206–231.Google Scholar
- [Mursky] V. L. Mursky,On the number of k-element algebras with one binary operation without finite bases of identities, Problemy Kibernetiki35 (1979), 5–27.Google Scholar
- [Olsh] A. Yu. Ol’shanskii,Conditional identities of finite groups, Sibirskii Matematicheskii Zhurnal15 (1974), 1409–1413 (Russian; English translation see Siberian Mathematical Journal15 (1975) 1000–1003).Google Scholar
- [Sap2] M. V. Sapir,Quasivarieties of semigroups, PhD thesis, Moscow Ped. In-t, 1983, pp. 1–140 (Russian).Google Scholar
- [Sap3] M. V. Sapir,Burnside-type problems and finitely based semigroup varieties, Izvestiya AN SSSR, Ser. Mat.2, 51 (1987), 319–340.Google Scholar
- [Sap4] M. V. Sapir,Inherently non-finitely based finite semigroups, Matematicheskii Sbornik133 (1987), 154–166.Google Scholar
- [Ufn] V. A. Ufnarovsky,Combinatorial and asymptotic methods in algebra, inCurrent Problems in Mathematics, Fundamental Directions, VINITI, Moscow, 1990.Google Scholar