The effect of asphyxia on gut blood flow in term neonates
- 41 Downloads
Transcutaneous Doppler ultrasound measurements were made of the superior mesenteric artery of 25 term infants to correlate the intestinal blood flow with neonatal acid-base status as measured in umbilical artery blood and newborn condition as reflected by Apgar score. Compared with the babies whose umbilical artery pH was higher than 7.20 (peak systolic velocity: 84.1 cn/sn, mean velocity 48.6 cm/sn), the blood flow of superior mesenteric artery was significantly decreased in the newborn babies whose umbilical artery pH was less than 7.20 (peak systolic velocity 48.8 cm/sn, mean velocity=32.6 cm/sn). Although no such relationship existed between Apgar scores and superior mesenteric artery blood flow indices, a significant linear correlation between superior mesenteric artery blood flow and umbilical artery pH was noted.
A reduction of intestinal circulation was observed during umbilical cord blood acidemia and hypoxemia.
Key wordsBirth asphyxia Doppler ultrasound Gut blood flow velocity Superior mesenteric artery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hackett GA, Campbell S, Gamsu H, Cohen-Overbeek T, Pearce JMK. Doppler studies in the growth retarded fetus and prediction of neonatal necrotising enterocolitis, hemorrhage and neonatal morbidity.Br Med. J. 1987; 13: 294.Google Scholar
- 2.Deeg KH, Geistner R, Bundacherer F, Harar G, Singer H, Gutheil H. Doppler sonographic detection of reduced flow velocities in the truncus coeliacus in infants with patent ductus arteriosus Botalli in comparison to a healthy control group.Monsschr Kinderheilkd 1987; 135: 24–29.Google Scholar
- 6.Van Bel F, Van Zuieten PHT, Guit L, Schipper I. Superior Mesenteric Artery blood flow velocity and estimated volume flow. Duplex Doppler US. Study of preterm and term neonates.Pediatr Radiol 1990; 174: 165–169.Google Scholar
- 7.Leiding E. Doppler analysis of superior mesnteric artery blood flow in preterm infants.Arch Dis Child. 1989; GI: 476–480.Google Scholar
- 9.Coombo RC, Morgan Med, Durbin GM, Booth IW, McNeish AS. Gut blood flow velocities in the newborn: effects of patent ductus arterious and parenteral indomethacin.Arch Dis Child 1990; 65: 67–71.Google Scholar
- 10.Kempley ST, Gamsu HR. Superior mesenteric artery blood flow velocity in necrositing enterocolitis.Arch Dis Child 1992; 792–796.Google Scholar
- 16.Edelstone DF, Holzman F. Gastrointestinal tract O2 uptake and regional blood flows during digestion in conscious newborn lambs.Am J Physiol 1981; G289.Google Scholar