A disaggregated approach to test the J-Curve phenomenon: Japan versus her major trading partners
- 230 Downloads
A limited number of studies have tested the J-Curve phenomenon using bilateral trade data between the United States and its major trading partners. In this paper, we test the J-Curve hypothesis by using quarterly bilateral data over the 1973–98 period between Japan and its nine major trading partners. We demonstrate that when aggregate data are used, there is no evidence of the J-Curve in the short run or any significant relation between trade balance and effective exchange rate in the long run. However, when bilateral data are employed, we find evidence of the J-Curve between Japan and Germany as well as between Japan and Italy. We also find that real depreciation of the yen has favorable long-run effects in the cases of Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
KeywordsExchange Rate Real Exchange Rate Trading Partner Bilateral Trade Trade Balance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brown, R. L., J. Durbin, and J. M. Evans. 1975. “Techniques for Testing the Constancy of Regression Relations Over Time.”Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B 37: 149–192.Google Scholar
- Kremers, J. J., N. R. Ericson, and J. J. Dolado. 1992. “The Power of Cointegration Tests.”Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics 54: 325–347.Google Scholar
- Onitsuka, Y. 1994. “Supply Pressure and the Export-Import Performance in the Japan-U.S. Bilateral Trade.” IMF Working Paper No. WP/94/53: 1–18.Google Scholar
- Pesaran, M. H., and Y. Shin. 1995. “An Autoregressive Distributed Lag Modeling Approach to Cointegration Analysis.” In Centennial Volume ofRangar Frisch, edited by S. Strom, A. Holly, and P. Diamond. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Pesaran, M. H., Y. Shin, and R. J. Smith. 1996. “Testing for the Existence of a Long-Run Relationship.” DAE Working Paper No. 9622, Department of Applied Economics, University of Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Rosensweig, J. A., and P. D. Koch. 1988. “The U.S. Dollar and the Delayed J-Curve.”Economic Review (Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta) 73: 2–15.Google Scholar
- Sukar, A., and T. Zoubi. 1996. “Real Exchange Rates and U.S. Bilateral Trade.”Journal of Applied Business Research 12: 138–144.Google Scholar