An absolute method for the determination of surface tension of liquids using pendent drop profiles
- 51 Downloads
Drop formation at conical tips which is of relevance to metallurgists is investigated based on the principle of minimization of free energy using the variational approach. The dimensionless governing equations for drop profiles are computer solved using the fourth order Runge-Kutta method. For different cone angles, the theoretical plots ofX T andZ T vs their ratio, are statistically analyzed, whereX T andZ T are the dimensionlessx andz coordinates of the drop profile at a plane at the conical tip, perpendicular to the axis of symmetry. Based on the mathematical description of these curves, an absolute method has been proposed for the determination of surface tension of liquids, which is shown to be preferable in comparison with the earlier pendent-drop profile methods.
KeywordsSurface tension drop profiles regression analysis Runge-Kutta method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brown R C and McCormick H 1948Philos. Mag. 39 420Google Scholar
- Hartland S and Hartley R W 1976Axi-symmetric fluid-liquid interfaces (Amsterdam: Elsevier)Google Scholar
- Padday J F 1969Surf. Colloid Sci. (ed.) E Matijevic (New York: Wiley Interscience) Vol. 1Google Scholar
- Ramesh Babu S 1984Proc. 29th Congress of The Indian Society of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, KREC, Surathkal (to appear)Google Scholar
- Ramesh Babu S 1985aProc. Int. Conf. on progress in metallurgy; Fundamental and applied aspects, Indian Institute of Technology, KanpurGoogle Scholar
- Ramesh Babu S 1985bStudies on drop formation at conical tips, Ph.D. Thesis, Indian Institute of Science, BangaloreGoogle Scholar
- Ramesh Babu S 1985cAn alternative algorithm for least square polynomial fitting (unpublished research)Google Scholar
- Richardson F D 1973Trans ISIJ 13 369Google Scholar
- Richardson F D 1974Trans. ISIJ 14 1Google Scholar
- Szekely J 1979Fluid flow phenomena in metals processing (New York: Academic Press)Google Scholar
- White D W G 1962Trans. Q. 55 757Google Scholar