Potato cultivar identification using simple sequence repeats markers (SSR)
- 448 Downloads
Identification of potato cultivars is currently based on phenotypic characters. Crop inspections are needed at different stages and the increasing number of cultivars means the process is becoming more and more complex. Molecular markers are a possible complementary tool to identify potato cultivars and to rapidly check the identity of seeds lots. In this study 286 potato cultivars produced in France were characterized by Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) using Simple Sequence Repeats (SSR) markers. Sequential amplifications with 4 to 5 of the chosen SSR markers enabled complete discrimination between all the cultivars. The patterns were registered in a database and the procedure is now used routinely in France.
Additional keywordsGenetic fingerprint microsatellites polymorphism Solarium tuberosum subsp.tuberosum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Demecke, T., L.M. Kawchuk & D.R. Lynch, 1993. Identification of potato cultivars and clonal variants by random amplified polymorphic DNA analysis.American Potato Journal 70: 561–570.Google Scholar
- Douches, D.S. & K. Ludlam, 1991. Electrophoretic characterization of North American potato cultivars.American Potato Journal 68: 767–780.Google Scholar
- Jones, C.J., K.J. Edwards, S. Castaglione, M.O. Winfield, F. Sala, C. van de Wiel, G. Bredemeijer, B. Vosman, M. Matthes, A. Daly, R. Brettschneider, P. Bettini, M. Buiatti, E. Maestri, A. Malcevschi, N. Marmiroli, R. Aert, G. Volckaert, J. Rueda, R. Linacero, A. Vazquez & A. Karp, 1997. Reproducibility testing of RAPD, AFLP and SSR markers in plants by a network of European laboratories.Molecular Breeding 3: 381–390.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kawchuk, L.M., D.R. Lynch, J. Thomas, B. Penner, D. Sillito & F. Kulcsar, 1996. Characterization ofSolanum tuberosum simple sequence repeats and application to potato cultivar identification.American Potato Journal 73: 325–335.Google Scholar
- Milbourne, D., R.C. Meyer, A.J. Collins, L.D. Ramsay, C. Gebhardt & R. Waugh, 1998. Isolation, characterisation and mapping of simple sequence repeat loci in potato.Molecular Genetics and Genomics 259: 233–245.Google Scholar
- Moisan-Thiery, M., Y. Le Hingrat & M.C. Kerlan. 2000. Potato cultivars identification using molecular markers. In: C. Dore, F. Dosba & C. Baril (Eds), Procedings of the International Symposium on Molecular Markers for Characterizing Genotypes and Identifying Cultivars in Horticulture.Acta Horticulturae, vol. 546, ISHS, pp. 471–477.Google Scholar
- Sosinski, B. & D.S. Douches, 1996. Using polymerase chain reaction-based DNA amplification to fingerprint north american potato cultivars.HorstScience 31(1): 130–133.Google Scholar
- Zhang, D., C. Besse, M.Q. Cao & M.H. Gandelin, 2001. Evaluation of AFLPs for variety identification in modern rose (Rosa hybrida L.). Eds. Doré, Dosba et Baril.Acta Horticulturae 546: 351–357.Google Scholar