A comparison study of self-expandable stents vs balloon angioplasty alone in femoropopliteal artery occlusions
- 97 Downloads
In a group of 26 patients percutaneous transluminal (balloon) angioplasty (PTA) and stents (Wallstents) were applied and in another 26 matched patients PTA alone was used as primary treatment for femoropopliteal occlusions of 3 cm or longer. Five patients with stents showed early thrombosis necessitating catheter thrombolysis and/or thrombus aspiration. Ten patients had recurrent stenoses within 12 months, mostly due to neointimal hyperplasia. Following three late catheter reinterventions, a cumulative secondary patency rate of 69% was achieved after 12 months. The group of patients treated by PTA alone showed a 12 months patency rate of 65% without reinterventions. In 8 other patients, stents were inserted for recurrent obstructive or PTA-resistant lesions, and similar results as with the stents above were obtained. Thus, these stents do not improve primary results of PTA in femoropopliteal occlusions but may be useful secondarily after unsuccessful PTA.
Key wordsPTA, thrombosis Neointimal hyperplasia Patency rate Controlled study Vascular endoprosthesis Angioplasty
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Joffre FA, Bernadet P, Rousseau HP, Nomblot C, Durand D, Knight CJ, Chamontin B, Suc JM (1989) The usefulness of an endovascular prosthesis for treatment of renal artery stenosis. Diagn Interv Radiol 1:15–21Google Scholar
- 5.Palmaz JC, Richter GM, Noeldge G, Schatz RA, Robison PD, Gardiner GA, Becker GJ, McLean GK, Denny DF, Lammer J, Paolini RM, Rees CR, Alvarado R, Heiss HW, Root HD, Rogers W (1988) Intraluminal stents in atherosclerotic iliac artery stenosis: Preliminary report of a multicenter study. Radiology 168:727–731CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Triller J, Mahler F, Do DD, Thalmann R, Wallsten H (1989) Vascular endoprostheses (Stents) in the treatment of femoropopliteal vascular occlusions. In: Zeitler E, Seyferth W (eds) Pros and cons in PTA. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, pp 162–169Google Scholar
- 13.Mahler F (1990) Katheterinterventionen in der Angiologie. Thieme, StuttgartGoogle Scholar
- 18.Strecker EP, Liermann D, Hellmut RD, Wolf MD (1990) Treatment of iliac and femoro-popliteal artery occlusive disease with the flexible tantalum stent (abstract) CIRSE meeting, p 248Google Scholar