Azobenzene derivatives were among the first ten liquid crystalline compounds. But there have been no detailed investigations on azomesogens consisting of a heterocyclic moiety. Twelve different azo compounds have been condensed with nicotinic acid to evaluate the effect of variation of terminal group on the monosubstituted pyridine system. The relative thermal stabilities and the variation in the mesomorphic characteristics have also been studied.
KeywordsAzomesogens heterocyclic terminal polarizable group efficiency order
- Dave Jayrang S and Dhake K P 1993J. Indian Chem. Soc. 70 591Google Scholar
- Furniss B S, Hannaford A J, Smith P W G and Tatchell A R (eds) 1994Vogel’s textbook of practical organic chemistry (England: Longman Singapore Publishers Pvt Ltd) pp 949–950Google Scholar
- Gray G W and Winsor P A 1974Liquid crystals and plastic crystals (Chichester: England Ellis Horwood Ltd) Vol.1, pp 116–122Google Scholar
- Mosher H S 1950Heterocyclic compounds (ed.) R C Elderfield (New York: Wiley) Vol. 1, p. 97Google Scholar
- SCI, B P Society of Chem Industry, Basle, 447 561 eg 4Google Scholar