Measurement of fracture properties of Zr-2.5 Wt.% Nb pressure tube material and effect of trace impurities
- 51 Downloads
This paper reports the details of a test method that uses elements of elastic-plastic fracture mechanics to assess fracture resistance of zirconium (Zr)-2.5 wt.% niobium (Nb) pressure tubes for a pressurized heavy water reactor. The fracture properties were evaluated on curved specimens, and the effect of certain trace elements on the fracture properties was determined. Significant reduction of trace impurities, produced by using four-stage melting practices rather than the conventional two-stage process, was observed to cause considerable improvement in the fracture resistance of the alloy. Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) of the fracture surfaces of the test specimens confirmed this observation.
Keywordsfracture toughness trace impurities zirconium-2.5 wt.% niobium pressure tube
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J.R. Theaker, R. Choubey, G.D. Moan, S.A. Aldridge, L. Davis, R.A. Grahm, et al.:Fabrication of Zr-2.5%Nb Pressure Tubes to Minimise Harmful Effects of Trace Impurities, ASTM STP1245, A.M. Garde and E.R. Bradley, ed.,Zirconium in Nuclear Industry, 10th Int. Symp., ASTM, W. Conshohocken, PA, 1994, pp. 221–42.Google Scholar
- 3.V.K. Saxena and G. Malakondiah: “Computerised Single Specimen Technique to Evaluate Elastic-Plastic Fracture Toughness JIC”,T. Indian I. Metals, 1989,42(6), pp. 508–20.Google Scholar
- 4.C.K. Chow and L.A. Simpson:Determination of Fracture Toughness of Irradiated Reactor Pressure Tubes Using Curved Compact Specimen, ASTM STP945, D.T. Read and P.R. Reed, ed.,Fracture Mechanics, 18th Symp., ASTM, W. Conshohocken, PA, 1988, pp. 419–35.Google Scholar
- 5.L.A. Simpson and C.K. Chow:Effect of Metallurgical Variables and Temperature on the Fracture Toughness of Zirconium Alloy Pressure Tubes, ASTM STP939, R.B. Adamson and L.F.P. Van Swam, ed., ASTM, W. Conshohocken, PA, 1987, pp. 579–96.Google Scholar
- 6.P.C. Paris, H. Tada, A. Zahoor, and H. Ernst:Elastic-Plastic Fracture, ASTM STP668, J.D. Landes, J.A. Begley, and G.A. Clark, ed., ASTM, W. Conshohocken, PA, 1979, pp. 51–64.Google Scholar