Equipartition of mass distributions by hyperplanes
We consider the problem of determining the smallest dimensiond=Δ(j, k) such that, for anyj mass distributions inR d , there arek hyperplanes so that each orthant contains a fraction 1/2 k of each of the masses. The case Δ(1,2)=2 is very well known. The casek=1 is answered by the ham-sandwich theorem with Δ(j, 1)=j. By using mass distributions on the moment curve the lower bound Δ(j, k)≥j(2 k −1)/k is obtained. We believe this is a tight bound. However, the only general upper bound that we know is Δ(j, k)≤j2k−1. We are able to prove that Δ(j, k)=⌈j(2k−1/k⌉ for a few pairs (j, k) ((j, 2) forj=3 andj=2 n withn≥0, and (2, 3)), and obtain some nontrivial bounds in other cases. As an intermediate result of independent interest we prove a Borsuk-Ulam-type theorem on a product of balls. The motivation for this work was to determine Δ(1, 4) (the only case forj=1 in which it is not known whether Δ(1,k)=k); unfortunately the approach fails to give an answer in this case (but we can show Δ(1, 4)≤5).
KeywordsMass Distribution Cell Complex Component Function Gray Code Moment Curve
- 4.R. Downey and M. Fellows, Fixed parameter intractability (extended abstract), inProceedings of the 7th Annual IEEE Conference on Structures in Complexity Theory, 1992, pp. 36–49.Google Scholar
- 14.J. Matoušek, Geometric Range Searching, Report B 93-09, Institute for Computer Science, Department of Mathematics, Freie Universität, Berlin, July 1993.Google Scholar
- 17.A. W. Tucker, Some topological properties of disk and sphere, inProceedings of the First Canadian Mathematical Congress, Montreal, 1945, pp. 285–309.Google Scholar
- 20.A. C. Yao and F. F. Yao, A general approach tod-dimensional geometric queries, inProceedings of the 17th ACM Annual Symposium on the Theory of Computing, 1985, pp. 163–169.Google Scholar
- 22.C. Zhong, The Borsuk-Ulam theorem on product space, inFixed Point Theory and Applications (Proc. Conf., Halifax, Nova Scotia, June 1991), pp. 362–372, ed. K. K. Tan, World Scientific, Singapore, 1992.Google Scholar