RPE65 gene: Multiplex PCR and mutation screening in patients from India with retinal degenerative diseases
- 35 Downloads
We used multiplex PCR followed by sequencing to screen for mutations in the 14 exons of theRPE65 gene in early-hildhood-onset autosomal recessive retinitis pigmentosa (arRP) and Leber’s congenital amaurosis (LCA) patients. The RPE65 protein is believed to play an important role in the metabolism of vitamin A in the visual cycle and mutations identified in the gene could have implications for vitamin A-based therapeutic intervention. We were able to identify a homozygous mutation (AAT → AAG) in exon 9 in an arRP patient and a heterozygous missense transversion (AAT → AAG) also in exon 9 of an LCA patient. We also identified a polymorphism in exon 10 (GAG → GAA) in an arRP as well as an LCA patient. Mutation screening would be greatly facilitated by multiplex PCR which could cut down costs, labour and time involved. The nucleotide changes observed in this study could bede novo. Though a larger study has been undertaken, from the preliminary results it appears that in India theRPE65 gene seems to be less involved in causation of LCA.
KeywordsRPE65 multiplex PCR retinal degenerative disease
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Acland G. M., Aguirre G. D., Ray J., Zhang Q., Aleman T. S., Cideciyan A. V., Pearce-Kelling S. E., Anand V., Zeng Y., Maguire A. M., Jacobson S. G., Hauswirth W. W. and Bennett J. 2001 Gene therapy restores vision in a canine model of childhood blindness.Nat. Genet. 28, 92–95.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chamberlain J. S., Gibbs R. A., Ranier J. E. and Caskey C. T. 1990 Multiplex PCR for the diagnosis of Duchenne muscular dystrophy. InPCR protocols: a guide to methods and applications (ed. M. A. Innis, D. H. Gelfand, J. J. Sninsky and T. J. White), pp. 272–281. Academic Press, San Diego.Google Scholar
- Dreesen J. C., Jacobs L. J., Bras M., Herbergs J., Dumoulin J. C., Geraedts J. P., Evers J. L. and Smeets H. J. 2000 Multiplex PCR of polymorphic markers flanking theCFTR gene; a general approach for preimplantation genetic diagnosis of cystic fibrosis.Mol. Hum. Reprod. 6, 391–396.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lorenz B., Gyurus P., Preising M., Bremser D., Gu S., Andrassi M., Gerth C. and Gal A. 2000 Early-onset severe rod-cone dystrophy in young children with RPE65 mutations.Invest. Ophthalmol. Visual Sci. 41, 2735–2742.Google Scholar
- Mullis K. B., Ferre F. and Gibbs R. A. (ed.) 1994The polymerase chain reaction. Birkhauser, Boston.Google Scholar
- Scheffer H., van der Vlies P., Burton M., Verlind E., Moll A. C., Imhof S. M., Buys C. H. C. M. 2000 Two novel germline mutations of the retinoblastoma gene (RB1) that show incomplete penetrance, one splice site and one missense.J. Med. Genet. 37, e6 (Electronic letters: http:// jmg.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/37/7/e6).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wolff R. and Gemmil R. 1997 Purifying and analyzing genomic DNA. InAnalyzing DNA (Genome analysis: a laboratory manual series 1) (ed. B. Birren, E. D. Green, R. M. Myers and J. Roskams). Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor.Google Scholar