Vitamin C improves basal metabolic rate and lipid profile in alloxan-induced diabetes mellitus in rats
- 122 Downloads
Diabetes mellitus (DM) is a multi-factorial disease which is characterized by hyperglycaemia, lipoprotein abnormalities and oxidative stress. This study evaluated effect of oral vitamin C administration on basal metabolic rate and lipid profile of alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Vitamin C was administered at 200 mg/kg body wt. by gavage for four weeks to diabetic rats after which the resting metabolic rate and plasma lipid profile was determined. The results showed that vitamin C administration significantly (P<0.01) reduced the resting metabolic rate in diabetic rats; and also lowered plasma triglyceride, total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol. These results suggest that the administration of vitamin C in this model of established diabetes mellitus might be beneficial for the restoration of basal metabolic rate and improvement of lipid profile. This may at least in part reduce the risk of cardiovascular events seen in diabetes mellitus.
KeywordsAscorbic acid diabetes mellitus lipid profile metabolic rate vitamin C
Basal metabolic rate
high density lipoprotein
low density lipoprotein
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Betteridge D J 1994 Diabetic dyslipidemia;Am. J. Med. (Suppl. 6A)96 255–315Google Scholar
- Fontvielli A M, Lillioja S, Ferraro R T, Schulz L O, Rising R and Ravussin E 1992 Twenty four hour energy expenditure in Pima Indians with type II (non insulin dependent) diabetes mellitus;Diabetologia 35 753–759Google Scholar
- Guyton A C and Hall J E 2006Textbook of medical physiology 11th edition (Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunder) pp 884–888Google Scholar
- Hoar WS, Hickman Jr G P 1975A laboratory comparison for general and comparative physiology 2nd edition (Prentice-Hall)Google Scholar
- Osim E E, Owu D U, Isong E U and Umoh I B 1994 Influence of chronic consumption of thermoxidized and fresh palm oil diets on basal metabolic rate, body weight and morphology of tissues in rats;Discovery Innovation 6 389–396Google Scholar
- Unwin N, Sobngwi E and Alberti K G M M 2001 Type 2 diabetes: The challenge of preventing a global epidemic;Diabetes Int. 11 4–8Google Scholar
- White A, Handler P, Smith E L, Hill R L and Lehman I R 1994Principles of biochemistry 7th edition (Tokyo: McGrawHill Kogakusha Ltd) pp 619–630Google Scholar