Electrochemical activity of heavy metal oxides in the process of chloride induced corrosion of steel reinforcement
- 71 Downloads
The influence of heavy metal oxides on the chloride induced corrosion of steel reinforcement in concrete was studied. Significant inhibition and stimulation of chloride induced corrosion have been observed. Basicity and acidity of the relevant metal ions, and their ability to form complexes are considered as the main factors of the observed effects.
KeywordsHeavy metal oxides chloride corrosion steel concrete reinforcement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berke N S and Weil T G 1992World-wide review of corrosion inhibitors in concrete, InAdvances in concrete technology (ed.) V M Malhotra (Canada: CANMET) pp 889–924Google Scholar
- Boyd W K and Tripler A 1988Mater. Protect. 7 40Google Scholar
- Craig R J and Wood L E 1970 Effectiveness of corrosion inhibitors and their influence on the physical properties of Portland cement mortars, Highway Research records328 Highway Research BoardGoogle Scholar
- Diamond S 1986Concentrations in concrete pore solutions resulting from calcium and nitrium chloride admixtures, Cement and concrete aggregates (Philadelphia PA: American Society of Testing and Materials)Vol. 8, pp 97–102Google Scholar
- Dreeman S, Osroff T, Dillard J, Glanville J and Weyers R1991A screening test for rebar corrosion inhibitors (Washington DC: Transportation Research Board)Google Scholar
- Gaidis J M and Rosenberg A M 1979Materials performance (Houston: NACE)Vol. 18 p. 45Google Scholar
- Remy H 1961Inorganic chemistry II (Leipzig: Akademische Verlagsgeselschaft Gest & Portig)(in German) Google Scholar
- Rosenberg A, Grace W R and Co 1993Mechanism of corrosion of steel in concrete, InConcrete science IV (ed.) J Skalny (Westerville, OH: The American Ceramic Society)Google Scholar
- Tashiro C 1984Effect of zinc oxide admixture on corrosion inhibition of iron in cement mortar containing sea water, Proc 8th int. congress on the chemistry of cement (Rio de Janeiro: Abla Grafica e Editora Ltda) pp 226–230Google Scholar
- Tashiro C, Takashi H, Kanaya M, Hirakida I and Yosida R 1979Cement & Concr. Res. 3 283Google Scholar
- Tashiro C, Ueoka C and Tashibana K 1985Effect of heavy metal on corrosion of iron in cement mortar, Proc. SILICONF (Budapest: Magyar Tudomanyos Akademia) pp 281–291Google Scholar