Polarized neutron reflectometry (PNR) is an ideal non-destructive tool for chemical and magnetic characterization of thin films and multilayers. We have installed a position sensitive detector-based polarized neutron reflectometer at Dhruva reactor, Trombay. In this paper we will discuss the results obtained from this instrument for two multilayer samples. The first sample is a (Ni-Mo alloy)/Ti multilayer sample. We have determined the chemical structure of this multilayer by unpolarized neutron reflectometry (NR). The other sample is a Fe/Ge multilayer sample for which we obtained the chemical structure by NR and magnetic moment per Fe atom by PNR.
KeywordsNeutron reflectometry polarized neutron multilayers interface roughness magnetic moment
PACS Nos61.12.Ha 68.35.Ct 75.70.Cn
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Proceedings of 6th International Conference on Surface X-ray and Neutron Scattering,Physica B283 (2000)Google Scholar
- K Sköld and D L Price, inMethods of experimental physics, neutron scattering edited by K Sköld and D L Price (Academic Press, New York, 1986) vol. 23aGoogle Scholar
- J Lekner, inTheory of reflection of electromagnetic and particle waves (Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 1987)Google Scholar
- Surendra Singh and Saibal Basu,Solid State Physics (India) 44, 257 (2001)Google Scholar
- Surendra Singh and Saibal Basu,Solid State Physics (India) 45, 263 (2002)Google Scholar
- Proc. Int. Symposium on Neutron Optics and Related Research Facilities, Kumatori, 1996,J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. A65 (1996)Google Scholar