Histochemical observations on the crown skin of male baya: Lipids, lipase and phosphomonoesterases
Histochemical studies on localisation of lipids, lipase and phosphomonoeste-rases in the crown skin of male baya during non-breeding and breeding seasons were carried out. The results indicated a high turnover rate for lipid synthesis and its utilisation, increased acid and alkaline phosphatase activities in the crown skin of breeding male baya as compared to that in non-breeding season. It is surmised that crown skin of male baya becomes metabolically hyperactive during breeding season aiding processes such as cell growth and proliferation, keratinization and production of coloured feathers related to breeding.
KeywordsLipids lipase acid phosphatase alkaline phosphatase crown skin baya weaver bird
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bancroft, J. D. and Stevens, A. (1977)Theory and practice of histological techniques (London, New York: Churchill Livingstone).Google Scholar
- Flaxman, A. (1972)Am. Zool.,12, 13.Google Scholar
- Gomori, G. (1952)Int. Rev. Cytol.,1, 323.Google Scholar
- Mishima, Y. (1964)J. Cell Biol.,23, 122.Google Scholar
- Narasimhacharya, A. V. R. L. (1987)Investigations on hormonal factors, integument and certain aspects of breeding biology of the male Indian bay a weaver bird, Ploceus philippinus L., Ph.D. thesis, Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar.Google Scholar
- Narasimhacharya, A. V. R. L., Kotak, V. C. and Sharp, P. J. (1988)J. Zool. (London),215, 239.Google Scholar
- Pearse, A. G. E. (1968)Histochemistry, theoritical and applied (London: J. G. A. Churchill Ltd.).Google Scholar
- Shah, R. V. and Menon, G. K. (1971)Pavo,9, 48.Google Scholar
- Shah, R. V. and Menon, G. K. (1972)Pavo,10, 30.Google Scholar
- Shah, R. V. and Menon, G. K. (1974)J. Anim. Morphol. Physiol.,21, 8.Google Scholar
- Spearman, R. I. C. and Hardy, J. A. (1985)Formand function in birds Vol. 3 (London: Academic Press).Google Scholar