Two phase mass transfer model for the semibatch melt polymerization process of polycarbonate
- 101 Downloads
A twophase mass transfer model has been developed to predict the polymer molecular weight for the semibatch melt polymerization process of polycarbonate, in which the reaction melt viscosity is high and the mass transfer of volatile by-product is the rate-controlling step. The model simulation results have been compared with the experimental data reported in the published literature regarding the number average molecular weight and the reaction product composition. The mass transfer coefficient for phenol [(kla)p] in the melt polymerization process of polycarbonate has been estimated.
Key wordsMass Transfer Resistance Mass Transfer Coefficient Vapor-Liquid Equilibrium Polycarbonate Melt Polymerization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kawase, Y. and Moo-Young, M., “Volumetric Mass Transfer Coefficients in Aerated Stirred Tank Reactors with Newtonian and Non-Newtonian Media”,Chem. Eng. Res. Des.,66(5), 284 (1988).Google Scholar
- Prausnitz, J. M., “Molecular Thermodynamics of Fluid-Phase Equilibria”, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N. J. (1969).Google Scholar
- Rafler, G., Reinisch, G., Bonatz, E. and Versaumer, H., “Kinetics of Mass Transfer in the Melt Polycondensation of Poly(ethylene terephthalate)”,J. Macromol. Sci. Chem.,A 22(10), 413 (1985).Google Scholar
- Ramachandran, P. A. and Chaudhari, R. V., “Three-Phase Catalytic Reactors”, Gordon & Breach Sci. Publish., N. Y. (1983).Google Scholar
- Sherwood, T. K., Pigford, R. L. and Wilke, C. R., “Mass Transfer”, McGraw Hill, N. Y. (1975).Google Scholar