Separation of co2-ch4 and co2-n2 systems using ion-exchanged fau-type zeolite membranes with different si/al ratios
- 738 Downloads
FAU-type zeolite membranes with different Si/Al ratios were hydrothermally synthesized on the outer surface of a porous α-Al2O3 support tube. The permeances of the membranes to CO2, CH4 and N2 were then measured at 308 K for single-component and equimolar binary systems. The separation properties were dependent on both the Si/Al ratio and the ion-exchange treatment. For single-component systems, a lower Si/Al ratio resulted in the incorporation of a larger number of Na+ ions. For a CO2-CH4 mixture, both CO2 permeances and CO2/CH4 selectivities were approximately half the values obtained for a binary CO2-N2 mixture. The highest selectivities, obtained using the NaX(1) zeolite membrane, were 28 for CO2/CH4 and 78 for CO2/N2. The RbY, RbX(1) and RbX(2) zeolite membranes showed larger CO2 permeances, compared with those of the original Na-type membranes. Ion-exchange with K+ ions was the most effective for the NaY zeolite membrane in that both the CO2 permeance and the CO2/CH4 selectivity were increased.
Key wordsFAU-type Zeolite Membrane Ion Exchange Gas Separation Selectivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Breck, D. W., “ZeoHte Molecular Sieves”, Wiley, New York (1974).Google Scholar
- Jeong, B.-H., Hasegawa, Y., Kusakabe, K. and Morooka, S., “Separation of Benzene and Cyclohexane Mixtures Using an FAU-type Zeolite Membrane”, Submitted toSep. Sci. Technol, (2001).Google Scholar
- Kita, H., Asamura, H., Tanaka, K. and Okamoto, K., “Preparation and Pervaporation Properties of X- and Y-Type Zeolite Membranes”, ACS Symposium Series 744, Membrane Formation and Modification, American Chemical Society, Washington D.C., 330 (2000).Google Scholar
- Lin, X., Kikuchi, E. and Matsukata, M., “Preparation of Mordenite Membranes on α-alumina Tubular Supports for Pervaporation of Waterisopropyl Alcohol Mixtures”,Chem. Commun.,957 (2000).Google Scholar
- Xu, X., Yang, W, Liu, J., Chen, X., Lin, L., Stroh, N. and Brunner, H., “Synthesis and Gas Permeation Properties of an NaA Zeolite Membrane”,Chem. Commun.,603 (2000).Google Scholar