Effects of pressure in coal pyrolysis observed by high pressure TGA
- 198 Downloads
High-pressure thermogravimetric analyzer was employed to investigate the effects of pressure on the thermal decomposition process, which is the very first step in most coal utilizing processes, and pyrolyzates from TGA were analyzed by on-line GC/MS. Results showed that pyrolysis of coal with steam under high-pressure conditions exhibited a slower reaction rate compared to the lower pressure conditions, and the effect is more evident at the high temperature region. Coal rank also exhibited a distinct effect on the pyrolysis rate such that a subbituminous coal showed a bigger effect by steam-addition and pressure than bituminous coals. Weathered coal sample illustrated a slower reaction rate compared to the unoxidized coal. In addition, the implication of pressure effects on pyrolysis has been described.
Key wordsPressure Effects Coal Pyrolysis TGA IGCC PFBC
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cuenca, M. A. and Anthony E. J. eds., “Pressurized Fluidized Bed Combustion,” Blackie Academic & Professional, Glasgow` (1995).Google Scholar
- Joseph, J. T. and Mahajan, O. P., “Effect of Air Oxidation on Aliphatic Structure of Coal,” Coal Science II, ACS Symposium Series 461, Schobert, H. H., Bartle, K. D. and Lynch, L. J., eds., ACS, Washington, DC (1991).Google Scholar
- Smith, K. L., Smoot, L. D., Fletcher, T. H. and Pugmire, R. J., “The Structure and Reaction Processes of Coal,” Plenum Press, New York, 357 (1994).Google Scholar
- Smoot, L. D. and Smith, P. J., “Coal Combustion and Gasification,” Plenum Press, 41 (1985).Google Scholar
- Song, B., Kang, Y, Seo, Y, Jin, G., Son, J. and Kim, S., “Effect of Pressure on the Combustion Characteristics in a Pressurized Bed Coal Combustor”HWAHAK KONGHAK,34,619 (1996).Google Scholar
- Speight, J. G., “The Chemistry and Technology of Coal,” Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York (1994).Google Scholar
- Wen, C. Y and Lee, E. S., Ed., “Coal Conversion Technology,” Addison-Wesley Pub. Co., Inc., 57 (1979).Google Scholar