Optical reflectance of metallic coatings: Effect of aluminum flake orientation
A set of aluminum-flake pigmented coatings having different flake orientations was prepared using various spraying conditions. The flake surface topography and the orientations of individual flakes were determined from images obtained by laser scanning confocal microscopy. Reflectance measurements were carried out to quantify the optical properties of the coatings. Both a Gaussian distribution (used to represent the measured flake orientation distribution) and a topographic map (including local surface roughness and orientation) of the flakes were then used as input to a ray scattering model to calculate the optical reflectance of each coatings Flake orientation distributions and examples of measured optical reflectance as a function of scattering angle are shown, and the latter are compared to calculated reflectance values.
KeywordsLaser Scanning Confocal Microscope Optical Reflectance Metallic Coating Flake Surface Pearlescent Paint
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).Wicks, Z.W., Jones, F.N. Jr., and Pappas, S.P.,Organic Coatings: Science and Technology, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992.Google Scholar
- (3).Rodrigues, A.B.J., “Color and Appearance Measurement of Metallic and Pearlescent Finishes,”ASTM Standardization News, 68–72, October (1995).Google Scholar
- (4).Tachi, K., Okuda, C., and Suzuki, S., “Mechanism of Aluminum Flake Orientation in Metallic Topcoats,”Journal of Coatings Technology,62, No. 782, 43 (1990).Google Scholar
- (5).Tachi, K. and Okuda, C., “Color Variation of Automotive Metallic Finishes,”Journal of Coatings Technology,64, No. 811, 71–77 (1992).Google Scholar
- (6).Wojtkowiak, J.J., “Effect of Film Viscosity on Aluminum Flake Orientation in Thermoplastic Acrylic Coatings,”Journal of Coatings Technology,51, No. 658, 111 (1979).Google Scholar
- (8).Sung, L.-P., Nadal, M.E., McKnight, M.E., Marx, E., Dutruc, R., and Laurenti, B., “Effect of Aluminum Flake Orientation on Coating Appearance,”Proc. 79th Annual Meeting Technical Program of the FSCT, Nov. 5–7, 2001, Atlanta, GA, 453–466 (2001).Google Scholar
- (9).Corle, T.R., and Kino, G.S.,Confocal Scanning Optical Microscopy and Related Imaging Systems, Academic Press (1996).Google Scholar
- (10).Barnes, P.Y., Early, E.A., and Parr, A.C.,Spectral Reflectance, NIST Special Publication, 250–48, 1998.Google Scholar
- (14).Born, M. and Wolf, E.,Principles of Optics, 6th Edition, p. 42, Pergamon, 1980.Google Scholar