Portable autonomous vertical profiler for estuarine applications
- 93 Downloads
The design and implementation of a portable autonomous vertical profiler are documented and example data sets from a mesotidal estuary and a microtidal, wind-driven estuary are presented. The profiler sampling range dynamically adjusts to changes in water column depth, and a typical vertical sampling resolution of 4 cm is attained. Example data show the onset and vertical and temporal extent of stratification in the water column. The profiler is ideal for water quality monitoring programs in shallow estuaries that require frequent profiles of hydrographic, chemical, and biological parameters that can be measured in situ.
KeywordsMooring Line Optical Encoder Memory Card Neuse River Estuary Sensor Package
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carter, H. H., R. J. Regier, E. W. Schiemer, andJ. A. Michael. 1978. The summertime vertical distribution of dissolved oxygen at the Calvert Cliffs Generating Station: A physical interpretation. Chesapeake Bay Institute Special Report 60. The John Hopkins University, Cambridge, Maryland.Google Scholar
- Datasonics, Inc. 1997. PSA-916 Sonar Altimeter User's Manual. Datasonics, Inc., Cataumet, Massachusetts.Google Scholar
- Luettich, R. A., J. E. McNinch, H. Paerl, C. H. Peterson, J. T. Wells, M. Alperin, C. S. Martens, andJ. L. Pickney. 2000. Neuse River estuary modeling and monitoring project stage 1: Hydrography and circulation, water column nutrients and productivity, sedimentary processes and benthic-pelagic coupling, and benthic ecology. Report no. 325-B, Water Resources Research Institute, Raleigh, North Carolina.Google Scholar
- Morrison, A. T., J. D. Billings, K. W. Doherty, and J. M. Toole. 2000. The McLane moored profiler: A platform for physical, biological, and chemical oceanographic measurements. Proceedings of the Oceanology International 2000 Conference. March 7–10, 2000, Brighton, UK.Google Scholar
- Purcell, M., T. Austin, R. Stokey, C. Von Alt, andK. Prada. 1997. A vertical profiling system for making oceanographic measurements in coastal waters, p. 219–224.In Proceedings of Oceans 1997 Conference Record. Marine Technology Society. Columbia, Maryland.Google Scholar
- Research Notes. 1997. Research Notes.Water Environmental and Technology 9:75.Google Scholar
- Sanford, L. P., K. G. Sellner, andD. L. Breitburg. 1990. Covariability of dissolved oxygen with physical processes in the summertime Chesapeake Bay.Journal of Marine Research 48: 567–590.Google Scholar