A quantitative evaluation of the electrostatic theory for ion pair chromatography
A quantitative model for ion pair chromatography based on the electrostatic theory is described. The model is based on the solution of the linearised Poisson-Boltzmann equation in a cylinder. The obtained equations are compared with experimental data from a number of different systems. The agreement between theory and experiments is satisfactorily. Systematic deviations due to the use of the linearised equation and ion correlation effects are discussed.
Key WordsIon-pair chromatography Retention mechanism Electrostatic theory quantitative evaluation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- W.R. Melander, Cs. Horváth, Chromatogr. Sci.31, 27 (1985).Google Scholar
- A.W. Adamson, “Physical Chemistry of Surfaces”, Wiley, New York, 4th ed., 1982.Google Scholar
- J. T. Davies, E. K. Rideal, “Interfacial Phenomena”, Academic Press, New York, 2nd ed. 1963.Google Scholar
- J. Ståhlberg, A. Furängen, Chromatographia24, 783 (1987).Google Scholar
- Standard Mathematical Tables CRC Press, Cleveland, 19th ed. (1971).Google Scholar