Conservation laws with a random source
We study the scalar conservation law with a noisy nonlinear source, namely,u l + f(u)x = h(u, x, t) + g(u)W(t), whereW(t) is the white noise in the time variable, and we analyse the Cauchy problem for this equation where the initial data are assumed to be deterministic. A method is proposed to construct approximate weak solutions, and we then show that this yields a convergent sequence. This sequence converges to a (pathwise) solution of the Cauchy problem. The equation can be considered as a model of deterministic driven phase transitions with a random perturbation in a system of two constituents. Finally we show some numerical results motivated by two-phase flow in porous media.
Key WordsConservation laws Stochastic partial differential equations Phase transitions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.S. K. Godunov, Finite difference methods for numerical computations of discontinuous solutions of the equations of fluid dynamics, Mat. Sb. 47 (1959), 271–295.Google Scholar
- 10.S. N. Gurbatov, A. I. Saichev, Degeneracy of one-dimensional acoustic turbulence at large Reynolds numbers, Soviet Phys. JETP 53 (1981), 347–354.Google Scholar
- 11.H. Holden, L. Holden, First-order nonlinear scalar hyperbolic conservation laws in one dimension, in Ideas and Methods in Mathematical Analysis, Stochastics, and Applications (S. Albeverio, J. E. Fenstad, H. Holden, T. Lindstrøm, eds.), Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1992, pp. 480–510.Google Scholar
- 14.H. Holden, T. Lindstrøm, B. Øksendal, J. Ubøe, T.-S. Zhang, The stochastic Wick-type Burgers equation, in Stochastic Partial Differential Equations (A. Etheridge, ed.), London Mathematical Society Lecture Note Series, Vol. 216, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1995, pp. 141–161.Google Scholar
- 16.H. Holden, N. H. Risebro, A stochastic approach to conservation laws, Proc. Third International Conference on Hyperbolic Problems. Theory. Numerical Methods and Applications, Uppsala, 1990 (B. Engquist, B. Gustafsson, eds.), Studentlitteratur/Chartwell-Bratt, Lund-Bromley, 1991, pp. 575–587.Google Scholar
- 22.H. Kunita, First-order stochastic partial differential equations, in Stochastic Analysis, Taniguchi Symposium, Katata and Kyoto, 1982 (K. Ito, ed.), North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1984 pp. 249–269.Google Scholar
- 24.R. LeVeque, Numerical Methods for Conservation Laws, Birkhäuser, Basel, 1991.Google Scholar
- 26.E. Medina, T. Hwa, M. Kardar, T.-C. Zhang, Burgers equation with correlated noise: Renormalizationgroup analysis and applications to directed polymers and interface growth, Phys. Rev. 39A (1989), 3053–3075.Google Scholar