A branch and bound method for stochastic global optimization
- 916 Downloads
A stochastic branch and bound method for solving stochastic global optimization problems is proposed. As in the deterministic case, the feasible set is partitioned into compact subsets. To guide the partitioning process the method uses stochastic upper and lower estimates of the optimal value of the objective function in each subset. Convergence of the method is proved and random accuracy estimates derived. Methods for constructing stochastic upper and lower bounds are discussed. The theoretical considerations are illustrated with an example of a facility location problem.
KeywordsStochastic programming Global optimization Branch and bound method Facility location
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R.J.-B. Wets, Large scale linear programming techniques, in: Yu. Ermoliev, R.J.-B. Wets (Eds.), Numerical Methods in Stochastic Programming, Springer, Berlin, 1988, pp. 65–94.Google Scholar
- V.I. Norkin, Yu.M. Ermoliev, A. Ruszczyński, On optimal allocation of indivisibles under uncertainty, Operations Research to appear in 1998.Google Scholar
- R. Horst, P.M. Pardalos (Eds.), Handbook of Global Optimization, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 1994.Google Scholar
- V.I. Norkin, The analysis and optimization of probability functions, Working Paper WP-93-6, International Institute of Applied System Analysis, Laxenburg, Austria, 1993.Google Scholar
- A. Prekopa, Logarithmic concave measures and related topics, in: M.A.H. Dempster (Ed.), Stochastic Programming, Academic Press, London, pp. 63–82.Google Scholar
- P. Hansen, B. Jaumard, H. Tuy, Global optimization in location, in: Z. Drezner (Ed.), Facility Location—A Survey of Applications and Methods, Springer Series in Operations Research, Springer, Berlin, pp. 43–68.Google Scholar
- M. Labbè, D. Peeters, J.-F. Thisse, Location on networks, in: M.O. Ball (Ed.), Handbooks in OR & MS, vol. 8, ch. 7, Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 551–624.Google Scholar
- B.J. Lence, A. Ruszczyński, Managing water quality under uncertainty: application of a new stochastic branch and bound method, Working Paper WP-96-66, International Institute for Applied System Analysis, Laxenburg, Austria, accepted for publication in: Risk, Reliability, Uncertainty and Robustness of Water Resources Systems, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.Google Scholar
- K. Hägglöf, The implementation of the stochastic branch and bound method for applications in river basin water quality management, Working paper WP-96-89, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, Laxenburg, Austria, 1996.Google Scholar