The phase diagram and the structure of the charge-density-wave state in high magnetic field
The properties of a charge-density wave (CDW) state in quasi-one-dimensional metals in magnetic field below the transition temperature are studied using the mean-field theory. We calculate the phase diagram and show that the CDW state with shifted wave vector in high magnetic field (CDWx phase) has at least double-cosine modulation on the most part of the phase diagram. The transition from CDW0 to CDWx state below the critical temperature is accompanied by a jump of the CDW order parameter and of the wave vector rather than by their continuous increase. This implies a first order transition between these CDW states and explains the strong hysteresis accompanying this transition in many experiments. We examine how the phase diagram changes in the case of imperfect nesting. The results are applicable to different families of organic metals.
PACS numbers71.30.+h 71.45.Lr 74.70.Kn
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Grüner,Density waves in Solids, Perseus Publishing, 2000.Google Scholar
- 6.D. Andres, M. V. Kartsovnik, W. Biberacher, H. Weiss, E. Balthes, H. Mu”ller, and N. Kushch,Phys. Rev. B64, 161104(R) (2001).Google Scholar
- 8.D. Andres, M. V. Kartsovnik, P. D. Grigoriev, W. Biberacher, and H. Müller,Phys. Rev. B68, 201101(R) (2003).Google Scholar
- 13.E. B. Lopes, M. J. Matos, R. T. Henriques, M. Almeida, and J. DumasPhys. Rev. B52, R2237 (1995).Google Scholar
- 16.L. P. Gor’kov and A. G. Lebed,J. Phys. (Paris) Lett. 45, L433 (1984).Google Scholar
- 23.W.P. Su and J.R. Schrieffer,Physics in One Dimension/ Ed. by J. Bernascony and T. Schneider, Springer series in Solid State Sciences, Berlin, Heidelberg and New York: Springer, 1981.Google Scholar
- 24.S.A. Brazovskij and N.N. Kirova,Sov. Sci. Rev. A Phys.,5, 99 (1984).Google Scholar
- 25.P.D. Grigoriev, D.S. Lyubshin,Phys. Rev. B (in press); cond-mat/0504779.Google Scholar
- 26.T. Ishiguro, K. Yamaji, and G. Saito,Organic Superconductors, 2nd edition, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 1998.Google Scholar