A characterization and nearly linear-time equivalence test forμ-branching programs
- 39 Downloads
We present a characterization ofμ-branching programs and a decomposition tree data structure which results from the characterization. We then show how the data structure can be used to test the equivalence of a pair ofn-nodeμ-branching programs inO(nα(n)) time, whereα(n) is a functional inverse of the Ackermann function. In addition, we show that equivalence testing ofkμ-branching programs fork≥3 is co-NP-complete.
KeywordsBoolean Function Equivalent Representation Equivalence Testing Decomposition Tree Block Tree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. Angluin. Queries and Concept Learning.Machine Learning, 2:319–342, 1988.Google Scholar
- R. L. Constable, H. B. Hunt, III, and S. Sahni. On the Computational Complexity of Scheme Equivalence.Proceedings of the 8th Princeton Conference on Information Sciences and Systems, pages 15–20, 1974.Google Scholar
- T. Hancock. Identifyingμ-Formula Decision Trees with Queries.Proceedings of the Third Annual Workshop on Computational Learning Theory, pages 23–37, 1990.Google Scholar
- S. Ponzio. A Lower Bound for Integer Multiplication with Read-Once Branching Programs.Proceedings of the 27th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pages 130–139, 1995.Google Scholar
- V. Raghavan and D. Wilkins. Learningμ-Branching Programs with Queries.Proceedings of the Sixth Annual ACM Conference on Computational Learning Theory, pages 27–36, 1993.Google Scholar
- D. Wilkins. Learning Restricted-Read Branching Programs with Queries. Ph.D. thesis, Vanderbilt University, 1995.Google Scholar