Hemimyzon nanensis, a new balitorid fish from the chao phraya basin, thailand
- 70 Downloads
A new balitorid fish,Hemimyzon nanensis, is described from the Mae Nam Nan River basin, a tributary of the Chao Phraya River, in northern Thailand. This species is distinguishable from its congeners by the following unique combination of characters: pectoral fin with 9–11 simple and 10–12 branched, rays; pelvic fin with 3–4 (usually 3) simple and 8–9 (usually 9) branched rays; 59–63 total lateral line scales; distance between pelvic fin bases 8.1–9,6% SL.H. nanensis is the first species of the genus recorded outside China and Taiwan.
Key wordsBalitoridae Hemimyzon nanensis sp. nov Chao Phraya basin Thailand
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen, Y. 1990. Homalopteridae. Pages 82–111in X. Chu and Y. Chen eds. The fishes of Yunnan, China, part 2. Science Press, Beijing.Google Scholar
- Fang, P. W. 1931. New homalopterin loaches from Kwangsi, China. Sinensia, 1: 25–42, pls. 1–2.Google Scholar
- Kottelat, M. 1989. Zoogeography of the fishes from Indochinese inland waters with an annotated checklist. Bull. Zool. Mus. Univ. Amsterdam, 12: 1–54.Google Scholar
- Kottelat, M. 1990. Indochinese nemacheilines. A revision of nemacheilines loaches (Pisces: Cypriniformes) of Thailand, Burma, Laos, Cambodia and Southern Viet Nam. Pfeil, München, 262 pp.Google Scholar
- Kottelat, M. and X.-L. Chu. 1988. A synopsis of Chinese balitorine loaches (Osteichthyes: Homalopteridae) with comments on thier phylogeny and description of a new genus. Revue Suisse Zool., 95: 181–201.Google Scholar
- Kottelat, M. and K. K. P. Lim. 1994. Diagnoses of two new genera and three new species of earthworm eels from the Malay Peninsula and Borneo (Pices: Chaudhuriidae) Ichthyol. Explor. Freshwaters, 5: 181–190.Google Scholar
- Li, G. 1994. Homalopteridae. Pages 422–443in R. Ding, ed. The fishes of Sichuan, China, Sichuan Publishing House of Science and Technology, Chengdu.Google Scholar
- Roberts, T. R. 1989. The freshwater fishes of western Borneo (Kalimantan Barat, Indonesia). California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco. xii+210 pp.Google Scholar
- Shen, S. C. and C. S. Tzeng. 1993. Homalopteridae. Papes 141–143, pls. 30 and 31in S. C. Shen, ed. Fishes of Taiwan. Department of Zoology, Taiwan University, Taipei.Google Scholar