Chemical composition and characteristics ofMoringa peregrina seeds and seeds oil
- 210 Downloads
TheMoringa peregrina kernel contains 1.8% moisture, 54.3% oil, 22.1% protein, 3.6% fiber, 15.3% carbohydrate and 2.5% ash. The composition and characteristics of the extracted oil were determined. Gas liquid chromatography of methyl esters of the fatty acids shows the presence of 14.7% saturated fatty acids and 84.7% unsaturated fatty acids. The fatty acid composition is as follows: palmitic 9.3%, palmitoleic 2.4%, stearic 3.5%, oleic 78.0%, linoleic 0.6%, linolenic 1.6%, arachidic 1.8% and behenic 2.6%.
- 2.Irbahim, S.S., M. Ismail, G. Samuel, E. Kamel and T. El-Azhari, Agric. Res. Rev. 52:9 (1974).Google Scholar
- 3.Verma, S.C., R. Banerji, G. Misra and S.K. Nigam, Curr. Sci. 45:21 (1976).Google Scholar
- 4.Khan, F.W., P. Gul and M.N. Malik, Pak. J. For. 25:2 (1975).Google Scholar
- 5.Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists, 12th edn., AOAC, Washington, DC, 1975.Google Scholar
- 6.Official and Tentative Methods of the American Oil Chemists' Society, 3rd edn., Vol. 1, AOCS, Champaign, IL, 1973.Google Scholar